Aug 10, 2012, 2:16 AM EDT
It’s a win for Iggy and Denver because he is a better fit with George Karl’s more open, up-tempo offense than he has been in Philly — Denver will use him in a way more like Team USA is using him in London. Denver played at the second fastest pace in the league last year and Iggy can finish at the rim. They move the ball and he will get good looks. Denver’s already good offense (third in the league in points per possession last season) gets a little better.
More importantly, he will dramatically improve what was the NBA’s 20th ranked defense last season, filling the Nuggets big need as an elite perimeter defender. (They need better defense from JaVale McGee, too, but that’s another story.)
Denver just got better. The problem is they are in the West — the Lakers, Thunder, Clippers and probably Spurs are still better, and Memphis is right there. Still, this was a great trade for Denver.
As it was for Philadelphia — Kwame Brown isn’t their starting center any more.
The up-and-coming Sixers now have the best center in the East — Andrew Bynum is an All-Star who is just coming into his own. He provides a real matchup challenge for Miami. Put him in a starting five with Jrue Holiday, Evan Turner, Thaddeus Young (who has earned the extra minutes) and maybe Spencer Hawes and you have a good team. And the core of that team is all under 25 — they will grow over the next couple years.
They now are maybe the third or fourth best in the East — Miami is the team to beat, but the Celtics, Pacers and now maybe Sixers are on that next tier. A Holiday-Bynum pick-and-roll is going to do be hard to stop. And Doug Collins has gotten this team to play hard and play defense.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 0
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 13
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 8
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 19
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 22
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2