Aug 9, 2012, 7:02 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like US Women’s soccer players love gold medals.
• If it does end up being a USA vs. Russia Gold Medal game Sunday you are going to hear a lot about this — the controversial ending of the 1972 Gold Medal game won by Russia. Marc Stein of ESPN does a great job in that piece of going back through the history of that moment, but it is so tied into the emotions of the Cold War at that time. Go read that post.
• Tim Hardaway and Dennis Rodman are teaming up to host a basketball camp for adults and a Jewish community center in Miami this weekend. They want to teach “life lessons.” The jokes just write themselves.
• Nigerian Chamberlain Oguchi has played well enough in these Olympics to catch the eye of some NBA teams.
• I want to give fair and equal time here: I wasn’t blown away by Lithuania’s Jonas Valanciunas in these Olympics, I thought he looked like a project for Toronto. But some Raptors bloggers who know the game are higher on him.
• Roger Mason says he chose to play in New Orleans this season because he could get minutes and be a veteran leader. I had heard it was to be closer to good gumbo.
• A “source” tells Hoopsworld that free agent Gilbert Arenas has lost a lot of weight and is now completely healthy, he’s just looking for a chance. My guess is that source has his agent’s license or is tied to someone who does.
• Former NBA player and coach Jerry Sichting has been hired on to the Washington Wizards’ staff.
• If you’re looking for it, here is the Celtics preseason schedule.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 7
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 17
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 36
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23