Aug 9, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
FIBA is a beurocratic institution of the old-school order. The Olympics even more so.
So it shouldn’t be a shock that the idea of change — turning the Olympic men’s basketball tournament into an under-23 event — is not something that is going to happen quickly.
Meaning not by the games in Brazil in 2016, according to a report by Ian Thompson at Sports Illustrated.
The NBA’s interest in pursuing an age ceiling for Olympic basketball is “unlikely” to be instituted in time for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, according to the source, who has direct knowledge of the talks involving the International Olympic Committee and FIBA, the international ruling body for basketball….
But the source stressed that quick action on an age limitation is highly unrealistic for FIBA. Passage of the new rule will require the ratification of 213 national basketball federations around the world — the sporting equivalent of the United Nations. The involvement of the IOC will further complicate the talks.
Players have almost universally opposed the idea of changing the Olympics, an idea pushed by David Stern on behalf of the NBA owners. Players like LeBron James, Kevin Durant and even guys who missed out this year (Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard) want to have the control and the option.
This is a money grab by the owners — they don’t like “their” star players taking part in a big tournament that generates a lot of money and they don’t get a piece of it. The NBA wants to partner with FIBA to boost the World Cup (or start their own event).
The NBA stars have the ultimate power here — if they promise to boycott a World Cup event this idea will die fast. It may anyway, it’s going to take a lot of persuading (meaning money) to get the other countries on board.
Meaning, it’s not happening in the next couple years before qualification for Rio begins.
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 4
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 40
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 40
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 23
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 19
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29