Aug 9, 2012, 12:53 PM EDT
FIBA is a beurocratic institution of the old-school order. The Olympics even more so.
So it shouldn’t be a shock that the idea of change — turning the Olympic men’s basketball tournament into an under-23 event — is not something that is going to happen quickly.
Meaning not by the games in Brazil in 2016, according to a report by Ian Thompson at Sports Illustrated.
The NBA’s interest in pursuing an age ceiling for Olympic basketball is “unlikely” to be instituted in time for the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro, according to the source, who has direct knowledge of the talks involving the International Olympic Committee and FIBA, the international ruling body for basketball….
But the source stressed that quick action on an age limitation is highly unrealistic for FIBA. Passage of the new rule will require the ratification of 213 national basketball federations around the world — the sporting equivalent of the United Nations. The involvement of the IOC will further complicate the talks.
Players have almost universally opposed the idea of changing the Olympics, an idea pushed by David Stern on behalf of the NBA owners. Players like LeBron James, Kevin Durant and even guys who missed out this year (Derrick Rose, Dwight Howard) want to have the control and the option.
This is a money grab by the owners — they don’t like “their” star players taking part in a big tournament that generates a lot of money and they don’t get a piece of it. The NBA wants to partner with FIBA to boost the World Cup (or start their own event).
The NBA stars have the ultimate power here — if they promise to boycott a World Cup event this idea will die fast. It may anyway, it’s going to take a lot of persuading (meaning money) to get the other countries on board.
Meaning, it’s not happening in the next couple years before qualification for Rio begins.
- Official ‘Clipper’s Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 0
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 11
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48