Aug 9, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It sure hasn’t shown much in the London Olympics — Carmelo Anthony is averaging 17.3 points a game on 57 percent shooting (53.1 percent from three), is chipping in 4.5 rebounds a game and is working hard off the ball. Plus, I could swear I saw him play defense.
But, apparently he’s a little banged up. From Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:
Carmelo is nursing a sore hamstring but says he’s fine. Knicks sent one of their own trainers to London to look after him
The physician for Team USA is from the Portland Trail Blazers. More than one team has sent along its own medical staff to monitor their players. Draw your own conclusions.
Hamstrings can be tricky things, but with just two games left and ‘Melo a key contributor to Team USA, you can bet he is going to play. After that he has about six weeks before the start of camp to rest it, and you know coach Mike Woodson is not going to push his star that hard in the preseason if there is still an issue.
Meaning, by the time the Knicks take on the Nets to open the season, ‘Melo will be ready to go.
As for the next two key games for Team USA, ‘Melo has looked good so far so it’s just something to keep an eye on.
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49