Aug 9, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
It sure hasn’t shown much in the London Olympics — Carmelo Anthony is averaging 17.3 points a game on 57 percent shooting (53.1 percent from three), is chipping in 4.5 rebounds a game and is working hard off the ball. Plus, I could swear I saw him play defense.
But, apparently he’s a little banged up. From Frank Isola of the New York Daily News:
Carmelo is nursing a sore hamstring but says he’s fine. Knicks sent one of their own trainers to London to look after him
The physician for Team USA is from the Portland Trail Blazers. More than one team has sent along its own medical staff to monitor their players. Draw your own conclusions.
Hamstrings can be tricky things, but with just two games left and ‘Melo a key contributor to Team USA, you can bet he is going to play. After that he has about six weeks before the start of camp to rest it, and you know coach Mike Woodson is not going to push his star that hard in the preseason if there is still an issue.
Meaning, by the time the Knicks take on the Nets to open the season, ‘Melo will be ready to go.
As for the next two key games for Team USA, ‘Melo has looked good so far so it’s just something to keep an eye on.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 0
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 38
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record