Aug 9, 2012, 10:43 AM EDT
Sometimes a guy landing in a new place is the impetus needed for change.
Sometimes, it’s the same crap in a different place.
We’ll see with Michael Beasley. He was the No. 2 pick of the Heat but they were willing to let him go after a couple years. He moved on to Minnesota and they wanted him gone after last season. He can score — he has averaged has averaged 15.1 points per game in his four NBA seasons — but has been an inefficient volume shooter to get there. Combine that with questions about his defense and off-the-court activities and let’s just say he needs a fresh start.
At least he is saying all the right things as he moves on to Phoenix, as he did to Hoopsworld.
“This is a new beginning for me in Phoenix,” Beasley said. “I’m excited. The Suns are a great fit for me. They look to get out and run some, which I’m accustomed to doing. The fans have embraced me and I look forward to contributing this season.”
The Suns gave Beasley three years, $18 million total, which is more than a lot of teams would have offered. But with Steve Nash gone the Suns need buckets, and Beasley can get them. He will have a green light all the time.
The Suns will remain an up-tempo team, with Goran Dragic running the show now. That should benefit Beasley, too. Should.
But he’s going to have to show it on and off the court before people start to buy into him in again.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31