Aug 9, 2012, 10:43 AM EST
Sometimes a guy landing in a new place is the impetus needed for change.
Sometimes, it’s the same crap in a different place.
We’ll see with Michael Beasley. He was the No. 2 pick of the Heat but they were willing to let him go after a couple years. He moved on to Minnesota and they wanted him gone after last season. He can score — he has averaged has averaged 15.1 points per game in his four NBA seasons — but has been an inefficient volume shooter to get there. Combine that with questions about his defense and off-the-court activities and let’s just say he needs a fresh start.
At least he is saying all the right things as he moves on to Phoenix, as he did to Hoopsworld.
“This is a new beginning for me in Phoenix,” Beasley said. “I’m excited. The Suns are a great fit for me. They look to get out and run some, which I’m accustomed to doing. The fans have embraced me and I look forward to contributing this season.”
The Suns gave Beasley three years, $18 million total, which is more than a lot of teams would have offered. But with Steve Nash gone the Suns need buckets, and Beasley can get them. He will have a green light all the time.
The Suns will remain an up-tempo team, with Goran Dragic running the show now. That should benefit Beasley, too. Should.
But he’s going to have to show it on and off the court before people start to buy into him in again.
- League execs on Kyrie Irving’s recent struggles: ‘He’s pouting’ 13
- Report: Knicks have ‘zero intention’ of trading Carmelo Anthony 9
- PBT Podcast for Dec. 7: Kobe’s back and for the Lakers that means…. 1
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 21
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (40)