Aug 9, 2012, 8:17 AM EST
Kyle O’Quinn was kind of the perfect second round gamble pick when he came out of Norfolk State last draft. He’s got size (6’10”) and athleticism, and while there were concerns about his commitment to the game (read: “motor”) in the second round he’s a good gamble.
O’Quinn impressed enough at the Orlando Summer League (averaging 8.8 points and 6.2 rebounds) that on Wednesday the Magic inked him to a three year deal, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The contract is guaranteed for the first season at $788,000, said O’Quinn’s agent, Alberto Ebanks. The Magic will hold team options for the second and third seasons, and if the team exercises both options, the contract will be worth a total of $2.5 million.
Maybe O’Quinn can develop into an NBA role player, a nice big off the bench. This is a good gamble and a good contract to test that out with for Orlando.
By the way, if you were going to make Dwight Howard comparisons, don’t. Different thing all together.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8