Aug 9, 2012, 8:17 AM EDT
Kyle O’Quinn was kind of the perfect second round gamble pick when he came out of Norfolk State last draft. He’s got size (6’10”) and athleticism, and while there were concerns about his commitment to the game (read: “motor”) in the second round he’s a good gamble.
O’Quinn impressed enough at the Orlando Summer League (averaging 8.8 points and 6.2 rebounds) that on Wednesday the Magic inked him to a three year deal, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The contract is guaranteed for the first season at $788,000, said O’Quinn’s agent, Alberto Ebanks. The Magic will hold team options for the second and third seasons, and if the team exercises both options, the contract will be worth a total of $2.5 million.
Maybe O’Quinn can develop into an NBA role player, a nice big off the bench. This is a good gamble and a good contract to test that out with for Orlando.
By the way, if you were going to make Dwight Howard comparisons, don’t. Different thing all together.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11