Aug 9, 2012, 8:17 AM EDT
Kyle O’Quinn was kind of the perfect second round gamble pick when he came out of Norfolk State last draft. He’s got size (6’10”) and athleticism, and while there were concerns about his commitment to the game (read: “motor”) in the second round he’s a good gamble.
O’Quinn impressed enough at the Orlando Summer League (averaging 8.8 points and 6.2 rebounds) that on Wednesday the Magic inked him to a three year deal, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The contract is guaranteed for the first season at $788,000, said O’Quinn’s agent, Alberto Ebanks. The Magic will hold team options for the second and third seasons, and if the team exercises both options, the contract will be worth a total of $2.5 million.
Maybe O’Quinn can develop into an NBA role player, a nice big off the bench. This is a good gamble and a good contract to test that out with for Orlando.
By the way, if you were going to make Dwight Howard comparisons, don’t. Different thing all together.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 11
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48