Aug 9, 2012, 8:17 AM EDT
Kyle O’Quinn was kind of the perfect second round gamble pick when he came out of Norfolk State last draft. He’s got size (6’10”) and athleticism, and while there were concerns about his commitment to the game (read: “motor”) in the second round he’s a good gamble.
O’Quinn impressed enough at the Orlando Summer League (averaging 8.8 points and 6.2 rebounds) that on Wednesday the Magic inked him to a three year deal, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
The contract is guaranteed for the first season at $788,000, said O’Quinn’s agent, Alberto Ebanks. The Magic will hold team options for the second and third seasons, and if the team exercises both options, the contract will be worth a total of $2.5 million.
Maybe O’Quinn can develop into an NBA role player, a nice big off the bench. This is a good gamble and a good contract to test that out with for Orlando.
By the way, if you were going to make Dwight Howard comparisons, don’t. Different thing all together.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Philadelphia 76ers 3
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 20
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 4
- Dwight Howard’s driver’s license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 15
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 50
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 32