Aug 9, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
If Eduardo Najera wanted to play for an NBA team next season, he could. He has recovered from a frightening fractured scull/forehead and has doctor’s clearance. There has been interest in him at the veteran’s minimum from teams like the Rockets and Timberwolves.
But when he spoke to DallasBasketball.com, he sounded like a guy leaning toward retirement and coaching.
“I’ve actually been talking to Donnie (the Mavs GM and the owner of the D-League Texas Legends) for two years about someday going into coaching,” Eddie tells me. “Hey, if I’m going to retire, I’ve got to start doing something, right?”
I asked Najera about reports that Brooklyn, Houston and Minnesota are all interested in talking with him about extending his playing career.
“That’s flattering, but I don’t know anything about that,” he said. “My agent is handling that. I’m open to it, but …”
And he trailed off.
Peter Vecsey tweeted he heard the same thing and that may be where he is headed. Kind of sounds like it. But when his agent shows up with an offer for one year and $1.2 million, walking away may be harder.
- Report: Clippers just need owner’s approval to finalize Garnett, Rivers trade 6
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 6
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 6
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 14
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 43
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (80)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record