Aug 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
Because the Kings and their fans have not suffered enough indignities in recent years….
Next year we could hear “Live from the Sleep Train Arena, we bring you Sacramento Kings basketball.”
The Kings currently play in the Power Balance Arena (formerly Arco Arena), an outdated building that is at the heart of the Maloof family’s efforts to move the team (they just don’t have enough support from the other owners yet).
Power Balance — the makers of those little wrist bands that purport to help your balance but have led to numerous fraud lawsuits — came on last season as the arena sponsor. But they have filed bankruptcy (they had some huge settlements to pay out) and has pulled out of its arena naming deal.
So the Maloof family is looking for a new arena sponsor, reports the Sacramento Bee.
Sleep Train Mattress Centers said Tuesday it’s negotiating with the Sacramento Kings for naming rights to the team’s arena. The Rocklin-based retailer is one of several companies talking to the Kings about naming rights.
Kings co-owner Joe Maloof confirmed the team is in negotiations for a replacement for Power Balance. He said the Kings’ marketing staff is handling the talks and he had no information about which companies are in the running. The team declined to comment further.
It could be good PR for a Sacramento-area company to jump in and say, “we’re here to help the King stay in town” even though they really have no control over the situation. Sleep Train (with 250 mattress and bed stores on the West Coast) could be that company.
Meanwhile, we all keep waiting for the Maloofs — who have worked to kill pretty much every new arena plan in the city — to announce how they have to move the team to… Anaheim or wherever. For financial reasons.
Until then, everybody on board the Sleep Train.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28