Aug 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EDT
Because the Kings and their fans have not suffered enough indignities in recent years….
Next year we could hear “Live from the Sleep Train Arena, we bring you Sacramento Kings basketball.”
The Kings currently play in the Power Balance Arena (formerly Arco Arena), an outdated building that is at the heart of the Maloof family’s efforts to move the team (they just don’t have enough support from the other owners yet).
Power Balance — the makers of those little wrist bands that purport to help your balance but have led to numerous fraud lawsuits — came on last season as the arena sponsor. But they have filed bankruptcy (they had some huge settlements to pay out) and has pulled out of its arena naming deal.
So the Maloof family is looking for a new arena sponsor, reports the Sacramento Bee.
Sleep Train Mattress Centers said Tuesday it’s negotiating with the Sacramento Kings for naming rights to the team’s arena. The Rocklin-based retailer is one of several companies talking to the Kings about naming rights.
Kings co-owner Joe Maloof confirmed the team is in negotiations for a replacement for Power Balance. He said the Kings’ marketing staff is handling the talks and he had no information about which companies are in the running. The team declined to comment further.
It could be good PR for a Sacramento-area company to jump in and say, “we’re here to help the King stay in town” even though they really have no control over the situation. Sleep Train (with 250 mattress and bed stores on the West Coast) could be that company.
Meanwhile, we all keep waiting for the Maloofs — who have worked to kill pretty much every new arena plan in the city — to announce how they have to move the team to… Anaheim or wherever. For financial reasons.
Until then, everybody on board the Sleep Train.
- Kevin Love and Flip Saunders hitting it off 1
- Three things about Game 2: Tony Parker is that good but Randolph, Grizzlies figuring it out 3
- Spurs need overtime in Game 2 to beat Grizzlies, take a 2-0 series lead 1
- Cavaliers bask in another lottery victory 11
- For second time in three years Cavaliers win NBA draft lottery 36
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (121)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (88)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- Play Video: Metta World Peace the weatherman
- Play Video: Eastern Conference finals preview
- Play Video: Heat gearing for another physical battle
- Play Video: Phil Jackson compares MJ and Kobe
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars