Aug 8, 2012, 10:29 AM EST
Because the Kings and their fans have not suffered enough indignities in recent years….
Next year we could hear “Live from the Sleep Train Arena, we bring you Sacramento Kings basketball.”
The Kings currently play in the Power Balance Arena (formerly Arco Arena), an outdated building that is at the heart of the Maloof family’s efforts to move the team (they just don’t have enough support from the other owners yet).
Power Balance — the makers of those little wrist bands that purport to help your balance but have led to numerous fraud lawsuits — came on last season as the arena sponsor. But they have filed bankruptcy (they had some huge settlements to pay out) and has pulled out of its arena naming deal.
So the Maloof family is looking for a new arena sponsor, reports the Sacramento Bee.
Sleep Train Mattress Centers said Tuesday it’s negotiating with the Sacramento Kings for naming rights to the team’s arena. The Rocklin-based retailer is one of several companies talking to the Kings about naming rights.
Kings co-owner Joe Maloof confirmed the team is in negotiations for a replacement for Power Balance. He said the Kings’ marketing staff is handling the talks and he had no information about which companies are in the running. The team declined to comment further.
It could be good PR for a Sacramento-area company to jump in and say, “we’re here to help the King stay in town” even though they really have no control over the situation. Sleep Train (with 250 mattress and bed stores on the West Coast) could be that company.
Meanwhile, we all keep waiting for the Maloofs — who have worked to kill pretty much every new arena plan in the city — to announce how they have to move the team to… Anaheim or wherever. For financial reasons.
Until then, everybody on board the Sleep Train.
- Wednesday night NBA Grades: LaMarcus Aldridge is a flat out stud 2
- Arena evacuated after fire, Spurs-Timberwolves game in Mexico City postponed 12
- Milwaukee police release video, cite Larry Sanders for bar fight 11
- PBT Extra: Focusing on “epic showdown” between Knicks, Nets 5
- Carmelo Anthony: “We are the laughingstock of the league right now” 25
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (63)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)