Aug 8, 2012, 4:19 PM EDT
This is a great story. Professional athletes (at least some of them) do more of this than gets made public, but this is a special situation and special move.
Roy Hibbert, the center of the Indiana Pacers (who got a max contract extension this summer), is flying across the country because the wish of one child was to meet him and see him play, but the young boy might not make it to that long.
Lee Eddins had hoped he would be able to watch his idol, center Roy Hibbert, play in person when the Indiana Pacers visit Sacramento, Calif., for a game against the Kings in late November. But Lee, 12, is not expected to live that long…
So Hibbert has planned a special surprise. Later this week, he is flying to Sacramento to meet Lee.
“Once I heard he had a dying wish, I knew I had to do something more than send him presents and Skype with him on the computer,” Hibbert said. “I’m usually uncomfortable going to hospitals when the Pacers do events because it’s pretty tough to see kids in that situation. Once I heard about (Lee), I realized I had to get over it and do it for him.”
Good for Hibbert. And good luck to Lee.
I don’t want to go all NBA Cares promo here, but there are good guys in this league who do good things for people. Who don’t just do it for the recognition or tax write-off. Hibbert is one of those guys.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31