Report: Lou Amundson talking with Bobcats, Knicks interested

Aug 8, 2012, 1:06 AM EST

Louis Amundson AP

And in today’s “I’m waiting because I don’t want to play for the veteran’s minimum” game we bring you energy big off the bench Lou Amundson.

Amundson could be a nice role playing big off the bench for some team (like he was for the Pacers last season), but it’s about the money, according to a tweet from Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.

A source close to free-agent forward Lou Amundson said Charlotte is looking at Amundson, and that it’s unlikely he would go to Greece. Panathinaikos has been mentioned as a possibility but the Amundson camp is wary about how Josh Childress‘ game fell off after he went to play in Greece and returned to the NBA. The source said the New York Knicks are also looking at Amundson. However, the Knicks only can offer the minimum and Amundson is looking for a deal in the area of $3 million a season.

I’m looking for a date with Lolo Jones. Lou has only a slightly better chance at getting his goal than I do.

Charlotte can offer more money but GM Rich Cho isn’t an idiot and is not going to overpay. So Amundson will wait for an offer he likes, along with Kenyon Martin and a lot of other guys who think they deserve more than the minimum. Right now, teams are not really offering that.

1. xelrik - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:20 AM

As a Heat fan I have to say I am worried about all the defenders the Knicks are adding to their roster. Especially if Felton has the same chemistry he had with A’mare, or if Melo works off the ball like he does with the olimpc team. Not as afraid as I am of the Celtics or the Lakers (Kobe WILL play off the ball well with Nash), but I am afraid even given the great offseaon we have had.

2. saint1997 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:42 AM

cut your hair

3. dls612 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:51 AM

Look ponytail! You had a decent season comming off the bench but not enough where teams are going to over pay you. Keep proving yourself and the money will come.

4. thestudiokida - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Lou Amundson is the only thing standing between the Bobcats and the 2013 Larry O’Brien trophy

5. unlvrebelx - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Lou was top 25 (22) in rebounds per 48 minutes, and top 15 (15) in blocks per 48 minutes……nobody else, that is in the both those categories, is getting less than $3 million a year…..

Nazr Mohammed is getting $3.75 million, and Lou brings more hustle, more screens, more energy, and more rebounds/blocks….Mohammed is 21st in blocks per 48 minutes…Lou is 15th…..Mohammed is 45th in rebounds per 48 minutes…..Lou is 22nd (and had Lou not played every minute of nearly every game with Tyler Hansborough….another hustle player that can rebound…..Lou would’ve certainly been in the top 10 to 15 of the rebounding category)…..

Simply put, Lou’s a STEAL at $3 million a year…..one of the better values out there, free agent or not……pull your heads out fellas. Asking for too much? There’s finally a guy that’s only asking for value, not overvalue and he gets ripped for it? He should be applauded.

6. dontaco - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

@thestudiokida that was classic.i cant even comment on this story…lol

7. bigrains - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:51 PM

I am a pacer Fan and I love Lou! At first I hated him cause his long nappy hair and he didn’t score points. But this dude is one of the best hustle players I’ve ever seen. And Indiana has had some great hustle guys in the past. So I don’t think Lou will get the 3 mill hes looking for. But 2 mill is def a possibility. You can expect him to play good D against a PF. Not a Center so much. You can expect him to fight and battle the ENTIRE time he’s in the game. He goes after every rebound and lose ball even if theres no chance he can get it. He became an absolute fan favorite in naptown and he’ll do the same with whoever he signs with. I do wish we could bring him back for around 1 mill a year. Money well spent it my opinion. Good luck LOUUUU!!!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches