Aug 8, 2012, 7:10 PM EST
After finally signing Marquis Teague, the Bulls have enough money left under the hard-cap apron to sign one more player — a rookie on a minimum deal. Not a second year player, their minimum is too high. Rookie minimum only.
You want some good news, Bulls fans?
That means you can’t sign Tracy McGrady. You talked to him but now he is out of the picture.
Seriously. That’s good news. And it’s the best I can do. Via Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld:
McGrady has received interest from a number of teams including the Chicago Bulls. However, talks between McGrady and the Bulls have ended…. Last season, McGrady averaged 5.3 points, 3 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 52 games as a reserve with the Atlanta Hawks. The 33-year-old would like to join a contender, according to sources, and will continue to weigh his options in the coming weeks.
McGrady would not have been a terrible pickup for the Bulls, relative to everyone else they inked this summer. But he would have just been part of the “guys we can get cheap while we wait for 2014 plan” we have been watching. No big improvement.
- Kobe Bryant sounds close to return, will not offer specific date 0
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 9
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 8
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)