Aug 8, 2012, 7:10 PM EST
After finally signing Marquis Teague, the Bulls have enough money left under the hard-cap apron to sign one more player — a rookie on a minimum deal. Not a second year player, their minimum is too high. Rookie minimum only.
You want some good news, Bulls fans?
That means you can’t sign Tracy McGrady. You talked to him but now he is out of the picture.
Seriously. That’s good news. And it’s the best I can do. Via Alex Kennedy at Hoopsworld:
McGrady has received interest from a number of teams including the Chicago Bulls. However, talks between McGrady and the Bulls have ended…. Last season, McGrady averaged 5.3 points, 3 rebounds and 2.1 assists in 52 games as a reserve with the Atlanta Hawks. The 33-year-old would like to join a contender, according to sources, and will continue to weigh his options in the coming weeks.
McGrady would not have been a terrible pickup for the Bulls, relative to everyone else they inked this summer. But he would have just been part of the “guys we can get cheap while we wait for 2014 plan” we have been watching. No big improvement.
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 5
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 15
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 3
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 6
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 4
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 5
- Pau Gasol’s trade tip put his and Marc Gasol’s All-Star futures in motion 2
- Reports: Kings at Knicks, Trail Blazers at Nets games Monday postponed due to coming storm 10