Aug 8, 2012, 2:50 PM EST
The Dwyane Wade we saw in the playoffs was just not right. Yes, there was the 22.8 points per game and the 46 percent shooting and the championship ring. Turns out even injured Wade is really, really good.
But he left knee was an issue, so bad he had it drained once. One of the league’s most explosive players hardly was dunking the ball at points. He was slowed and after the season had knee surgery on July 9.
Right now he is in London for the Olympics — as a spectator — and told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press he’ll be ready to go next season.
“I feel good. Rehab is going very well,” Wade told The Associated Press. “I’m happy with it. I’m more encouraged than I was, obviously, when I knew I had to get surgery. So I’m happy….”
The Heat will open training camp in late September, and Wade said he expects to be fully ready to go when Miami opens the defense of its title against the Boston Celtics on Oct. 30. He even hopes to be ready for the start of camp.
“I should be. We’ll see,” Wade said. “We’ll see how we approach it as an organization. But I should be able to go. It just depends on how much they feel like they want me to work. But I should be ready when the season starts.”
Rehab of this injury is supposed to take up to two months, which would have Wade ready to go when camp opens Oct. 1.
For now Wade is doing his business thing — he was in London for Gatorade, then was on to Switzerland for a watch sponsor.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 0
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 11
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 28
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 58
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13