Aug 8, 2012, 2:50 PM EST
The Dwyane Wade we saw in the playoffs was just not right. Yes, there was the 22.8 points per game and the 46 percent shooting and the championship ring. Turns out even injured Wade is really, really good.
But he left knee was an issue, so bad he had it drained once. One of the league’s most explosive players hardly was dunking the ball at points. He was slowed and after the season had knee surgery on July 9.
Right now he is in London for the Olympics — as a spectator — and told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press he’ll be ready to go next season.
“I feel good. Rehab is going very well,” Wade told The Associated Press. “I’m happy with it. I’m more encouraged than I was, obviously, when I knew I had to get surgery. So I’m happy….”
The Heat will open training camp in late September, and Wade said he expects to be fully ready to go when Miami opens the defense of its title against the Boston Celtics on Oct. 30. He even hopes to be ready for the start of camp.
“I should be. We’ll see,” Wade said. “We’ll see how we approach it as an organization. But I should be able to go. It just depends on how much they feel like they want me to work. But I should be ready when the season starts.”
Rehab of this injury is supposed to take up to two months, which would have Wade ready to go when camp opens Oct. 1.
For now Wade is doing his business thing — he was in London for Gatorade, then was on to Switzerland for a watch sponsor.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39