Dwyane Wade says knee surgery recovery “going very well”

Aug 8, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Miami Heat - Game Five Getty Images

The Dwyane Wade we saw in the playoffs was just not right. Yes, there was the 22.8 points per game and the 46 percent shooting and the championship ring. Turns out even injured Wade is really, really good.

But he left knee was an issue, so bad he had it drained once. One of the league’s most explosive players hardly was dunking the ball at points. He was slowed and after the season had knee surgery on July 9.

Right now he is in London for the Olympics — as a spectator — and told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press he’ll be ready to go next season.

“I feel good. Rehab is going very well,” Wade told The Associated Press. “I’m happy with it. I’m more encouraged than I was, obviously, when I knew I had to get surgery. So I’m happy….”

The Heat will open training camp in late September, and Wade said he expects to be fully ready to go when Miami opens the defense of its title against the Boston Celtics on Oct. 30. He even hopes to be ready for the start of camp.

“I should be. We’ll see,” Wade said. “We’ll see how we approach it as an organization. But I should be able to go. It just depends on how much they feel like they want me to work. But I should be ready when the season starts.”

Rehab of this injury is supposed to take up to two months, which would have Wade ready to go when camp opens Oct. 1.

For now Wade is doing his business thing — he was in London for Gatorade, then was on to Switzerland for a watch sponsor.

1. tonystrong - Aug 8, 2012 at 3:59 PM

Wade and Bosh missing London is the best thing that could have happened to the Heat. If both are healthy it will be beneficial to Lebron when he needs a breather after what’s been a long year of basketball. I know a lot of teams have improved this off-season but the fact is if the Heat are healthy, they’re not getting beaten next year. This team rolled OKC last year and we still don’t know that the additions of Steve Nash and Antawn Jamison are enough for the Lakers to have closed the gap on them (getting Dwight might make things different though). Even the moves Boston has made haven’t done much to close the gap on the Heat this year. They improved their bench which is good in giving old guys a breather throughout the season but the fact is that when the game counts, the bench is ON THE BENCH. Jason Terry for Ray Allen is a wash. And everyone who is going to say Boston closed the gap and took them 7 games just remember Chris Bosh didn’t play. Take Garnett off the Celtics last season and Miami sweeps them WITHOUT Bosh. I’m not trying to hype Miami anymore then they’ve already been hyped but with Lebron taking his role as best player on the planet, the championship monkey off his back, and a healthy Wade. Good luck to everyone else trying to dethrone this team next season!

• guyaneserj - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:08 PM

Exactly Tonystrong.. couldn’t have said it better myself!!

2. rodge1 - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:29 PM

Lakers getting Nash not even enough to close gap with OKC… Miami vs. OKC Finals again next season (Miami wins 4-2).

3. dls612 - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Glad to know he’s healthy again, but wade stop it with the geek wardrobe! You’re from the rough side of Chicago

4. steelers4385 - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:31 PM

Cheater. Just like rest of team and bandwagon fans that filled those empty dusty seats outta no where

5. rodge1 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:43 PM

And the haters have made their way here. ‘Cheaters’ is a new one though. Just glad you haters are staying creative.

6. kwf1224 - Aug 8, 2012 at 8:55 PM

I think he might be lying.

7. paulhargis53 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:05 AM

oh the revisionist history of you heat fans.
    nope, Celts didn’t have any injuries….

Not “hating”- God what a stupid term.

Glad you so coolly, disregard Boston.
    That team got a whole lot better defensively. Guards are going to be tenacious, they got bigger too, and younger….

Go ahead pencil them in for another title, its not that easy to repeat.

IT’S one thing be optimistic, its another thing to be Lakers fan east, which you most certainly are.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches