Aug 8, 2012, 2:50 PM EDT
The Dwyane Wade we saw in the playoffs was just not right. Yes, there was the 22.8 points per game and the 46 percent shooting and the championship ring. Turns out even injured Wade is really, really good.
But he left knee was an issue, so bad he had it drained once. One of the league’s most explosive players hardly was dunking the ball at points. He was slowed and after the season had knee surgery on July 9.
Right now he is in London for the Olympics — as a spectator — and told Tim Reynolds of the Associated Press he’ll be ready to go next season.
“I feel good. Rehab is going very well,” Wade told The Associated Press. “I’m happy with it. I’m more encouraged than I was, obviously, when I knew I had to get surgery. So I’m happy….”
The Heat will open training camp in late September, and Wade said he expects to be fully ready to go when Miami opens the defense of its title against the Boston Celtics on Oct. 30. He even hopes to be ready for the start of camp.
“I should be. We’ll see,” Wade said. “We’ll see how we approach it as an organization. But I should be able to go. It just depends on how much they feel like they want me to work. But I should be ready when the season starts.”
Rehab of this injury is supposed to take up to two months, which would have Wade ready to go when camp opens Oct. 1.
For now Wade is doing his business thing — he was in London for Gatorade, then was on to Switzerland for a watch sponsor.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54