Deng says it will be tough for Bulls without Rose. Ya think?

Aug 8, 2012, 1:07 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls' Deng goes to the basket against the Miami Heat during second half of their NBA basketball game in Chicago Reuters

Luol Deng is going to be there for the Bulls. There is no wrist surgery coming following his Olympic experience for Great Britain, he will be there in camp — he’s not even sure what all the fuss over his wrist was about — and plans to lead Chicago next season.

How far can he lead them? Good question, because it’s Derrick Rose that takes this team places. With Rose they are a contender, without him after a torn ACL they were a one seed falling to an eight seed in the first round.

Deng admitted it will be tough to ESPNChicago.com.

“It’s definitely going to be tough being without him,” said Deng of Rose’s loss. “He is a big part of everything we do, he is such a huge player to miss that much time but he has got to take his time and come back the best he can be.

“We’ve lost some guys I really wish had stayed, who I’m friends with and close with. But it’s my ninth year and the roster has been different every year.”

The Bulls reworked their bench so that come the summer of 2014 they will have a lot of cap space to go after a star to pair with Rose. No offense, Deng. But the Bulls clearly looked at their roster and thought it wouldn’t be able to compete with Miami as it is now, and they are planning an upgrade.

But even when Rose comes back the next couple of years might be tough for the Bulls. And their fans.

And if things are going downhill fast, maybe Deng will get that surgery after all.

1. dls612 - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:41 PM

Bulls fans can be optimistic all they want, but in reality it will be a lost season and with a bench that had the depth is no more. And a bigger question, will rose be that explosive going to the basket? I’m sure he will favor the knee.

2. tonystrong - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:58 PM

2 years from now you will never know Rose ever suffered this injury. C’mon man, torn ACL’s aren’t a big deal anymore. 15 years ago I’d understand you’re concern about Rose dls612 but the advances made in medical science and with the fact that Rose is so young, I doubt his career is in any kind of jeopardy!

But notice that I wrote in 2 years. Next year the Bulls aren’t going anywhere and they should plan accordingly. No sense in playing for the 6th seed in the East. If I was Chicago, I would tell Rose right now that he’s sitting next season out, blow up the roster, and hope a ping pong ball bounces my way. What are they going to do, bring back Rose for the playoffs? Yeah that’s smart, bring him back for the playoffs so he try’s to play to hard and risks re-injuring himself. If the Bulls are planning on doing what I suggested (which all signs point them doing that) they should be applauded. To many teams in the NBA building rosters to be the 6th seed in the East. It’s championship or bust and if Chicago is serious about that, they’ll have no problem taking next year off!

• dls612 - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:01 AM

Relax Tonystrong! Its not like I’m saying his career is over. Just pointing out that the up coming season may be a lost and I don’t know if he will be that much of a factor. Besides it might be more of a mental thing that may keep him from being the Derick Rose we’re use to! Even though Im not a fan I like Rose

• borderline1988 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:14 PM

The only issues with your plan is that the Bulls are good enough to make one of the later playoff seeds, regardless of Rose (remember last season?).

So the Bulls are in the worst place right now lol. They will make it as a late seed, and then get killed by Indiana, Miami, or Boston (or whoever else they face).

3. deiong - Aug 9, 2012 at 10:58 PM

what i dont understand is why football players get the same injury but worse, and are back faster then this? seems kinda long in terms of what football players have done…

Lakers, Celtics among lottery bound teams
Top 10 NBA Player Searches