Avery Bradley thanks Ray Allen for being a good tutor

Aug 8, 2012, 3:54 PM EDT

Avery Bradley, Nolan Smith AP

We know what kind of reception Ray Allen is going to get from the fans when he returns to Boston as a member of the Miami Heat. We know how Paul Pierce feels about Allen bolting for the enemy.

But Avery Badly, the guy who basically took Allen’s starting job, he feels differently.

He was just glad he got to play with Allen and learn from him, Bradley told ESPNBoston.com.

“Ray was a great tutor,” said Bradley, who struggled with his ability to generate offense early in his NBA career but blossomed last season as he became more confident in his jump shot.

“I’m sad that he’s gone, but we all wish the best for him. But he definitely meant a lot. He helped me out every single day. Sometimes I’d just be working out and he’d be watching on the side. He’d get up and tell me what I needed to work on, or tell me how I can be more consistent. I really thank him for that.”

Nice of him to acknowledge that.

But Boston made the right move for them, even if it means Miami gets better in the process.

Bradley brings very different things to the floor than Allen, specifically man defense on the perimeter. For the way Boston plays, that matters a lot. Now with Jason Terry coming off the bench to provide scoring and shot creation Boston doesn’t need what Allen brings as much as it needs what Avery brings.

Besides, Bradley can knock down shots — he was a 49 percent shooter last year (up from 34 percent his rookie year). And he can thank Allen for some of that. Actually, he just did.

1. lakerluver - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:05 PM

The C’s made the right call going with Avery. But doesn’t “Jesus Shuttlesworth” have the sweetest jumper ever?

• dunkindan - Aug 8, 2012 at 7:47 PM

Jump shot yes – As in elevation and releasing at the top.

Purest Shooter is probably Curry (Biased GSW FAN HERE)

2. allen227 - Aug 8, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Avery and Ray are two of my favorites. Hated to see him leave Boston though.

3. j0esixpack - Aug 9, 2012 at 8:09 AM

Nice to have Kurt finally admit that the Celtics are better with Bradley and Terry than with Allen.

You’d think that might also translate to an acknowledgment from Kurt that not having Bradley against the Heat, forcing them to play an older, injured Allen, hurt the Celtics against a Heat team that actually had Chris Bosh return to hit some huge 3s in the pivotal games.

But I’m not going to hold my breath. As far as PBT is concerned it was only because the Celtics were strong and young in 2012 that they were able to take an old, injured Heat team to 7 games.

• borderline1988 - Aug 9, 2012 at 2:10 PM

I can’t wait for the Heat to demolish the Celtics again in the playoffs. The only thing stopping that from happening is Boston losing a series before they play the Heat.

• j0esixpack - Aug 16, 2012 at 12:36 PM

If the Celtics – like the Heat did last year – lose the majority of regular season games to the Heat and then squeak by in the 7th game of the Eastern finals, I guess you won’t mind if Celtics fans chortle about “demolishing” the Heat.

Of course, I think most Celtics fans actually know the definition of “demolish” and know that wouldn’t be the truth.

• borderline1988 - Aug 17, 2012 at 1:48 PM

Okay fine.

Demolished in 2011, beat in 2012.
        (Btw had Bosh been around the whole series, there’s no chance the series would have gone to 7 games, regardless of Allen’s health. Think about the fact that most would agree that the Celtics were better in 2011 vs 2012 and the Heat were worse in 2011 vs 2012).

If that makes you feel better, I’m happy for you. Still looking at 0-2 against the Heat in the playoffs, and there’s no reason to think it won’t happen again.

4. paulhargis53 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Well said!

5. j0esixpack - Aug 10, 2012 at 1:13 PM

The Celts beat the Heat 6 out of 8 Reg season games didn’t they? And took them to the final minutes of Game 7

If the Celts eek out a Game 7 win in the playoffs next year I guess we can chortle about “demolishing” the Heat.

But of course most Celtics fans are smart enough to know that doesn’t constitute “demolition”

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches