Aug 7, 2012, 7:51 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points like Brazilians love soccer. (Well, not that much.)
• As you can see with the photo to the right, US swimmer Ryan Lochte was hanging out with Ludacris at the USA/Argentina basketball game (via Deadspin). No, this was not photoshopped. Things like this happen. Just not to you and me.
• Forget the weary Dream Team vs. 2012 team debate. Jack McCallum (the Sports Illustrated writer who just finished a book on the Dream Team) and Dan Venedam of Blackboard Analytics asked an interesting question: What if you could pick a dream team from the NBA/College in 1968? And how would that stack up against the Dream Team?
Who would be on a 1968 team: They could have had Wilt Chamberlain and Bill Russell at center (yes, both on the team), Jerry Lucas, Willis Reed, Oscar Robertson, Elvin Hayes, Elgin Baylor, John Havlicek and maybe Rick Berry. That would be a heck of a team. I’d probably still take the Dream Team in a game, but it’d be a contest with those centers, plus people forget how special Baylor was.
• A great look at the top 10 players through group play of the Olympics.
• Jalen Rose doesn’t like that the fact the American women’s gymnastic’s team has been nicknamed the “Fab Five.” First, chill Jalen. It’s not a big deal. Second, for the record the girls wanted to be known as the “fierce five” or something else, they didn’t ask for “fab five.”
• The NBA joined every other major professional sports league in America, as well as the NCAA, in a federal court complaint filed against New Jersey state officials seeking to stop the state from implementing sports betting on pro and college games. The state had table/slot gaming in Atlantic City but added sports betting to generate more tax revenue during these desperate economic times for states. The leagues say the move violates federal law.
• Here is a little lesson in sports story spin: First came a whisper that there was not much of a free agent market for Andray Blatche. A day later comes a story on ESPNNewYork with “sources” saying that a few teams had interest including the Heat. I will tell you now that source was Blatche’s agent, someone close to the agent, or someone close to Blatche — they want a positive spin out in the media. Agents can be valuable sources, and can give you accurate information, but they want to spin things in a positive light for their clients. Now comes more news from the Washington Post that the Blatche market is tepid. That’s probably coming from league executives. Just think through what you read right now as we enter the silly season and ask yourself who benefits from any leaked info.
• Free agent Donte Greene said he’s talking with the Bulls, Knicks and Pacers. The Kings could have kept him with a qualifying offer but chose not to, so if you’re a fan of wherever he lands realize what you are getting.
• Here is a Q&A with Dr. J — Julius Erving, to you — as he teams up with Converse as an endorser. Seems a good fit.
• Speaking of interesting Q&As, here is one with Kerry Kittles.
• Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak sounds pretty “meh” about keeping second-round picks Darius Johnson-Odom or Robert Sacre on the roster. Neither has guaranteed roster spots. Neither blew you away in Summer League, either.
• Older Clippers fans have been burned before. They are a little more hesitant to get pumped up for this season.
• Joel Meyers and David Wesley will be your New Orleans television broadcast team next year.
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 1
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 24
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 67
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 23
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 10
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 50