Aug 7, 2012, 4:43 PM EST
Barack Obama had Michael Jordan’s back — the president said the current Olympic team couldn’t touch the original Dream Team. Now, Jordan has Obama’s back.
The classic was originally scheduled for December of 2011, but was postponed because of the end of the NBA labor lockout.
With Obama being a huge hoops fan — he had a court added to the White House grounds — this event makes a lot of sense. Obama has had NBA players over for pickup games before.
When this was planned previously — when everyone thought the lockout would still be going on — the list of players was long and impressive and included LeBron James, Derrick Rose, Dwyane Wade, Grant Hill, Shane Battier and many more. We don’t know the time or location of this game yet, so the final rosters are not set. But expect big names.
The email to donors said that anyone who chips in to the re-election effort stands a chance to play in the game along side the legendary players. Of course, as with all political campaigns of any party, you can bet the size of the donation certainly helps your chance of gaining access.
What is notable is how during his playing days Jordan was apolitical to the point of controversy at times, once saying “Republicans buy shoes, too.” And his team is in a red state. But Jordan has decided to back Obama, and you can bet it has to do with a lot more than the Dream Team.
- Tom Thibodeau says Derrick Rose ‘didn’t re-injure himself’ after playing just 10 minutes in loss to Nuggets 0
- Lakers granted $4.85 million disabled-player exception for Steve Nash injury 8
- Kobe Bryant: “We’re not a 3-11 team. We’re not.” 22
- Tom Thibodeau is getting tired of answering Derrick Rose questions 15
- Veteran NBA coach: ‘I think (Cavaliers head coach David Blatt) is struggling a bit’ 30
- PBT’s Monday night NBA Winners/Losers: That looks more like the Cavaliers we expected 12
- Carmelo Anthony exits Knicks-Rockets game with apparent back injury 9
- Russell Westbrook and Kevin Durant progressing in rehab, Westbrook could play Friday 6