Jodie Meeks looking for more than veteran minimum deal

Aug 7, 2012, 1:11 PM EST

Jodie Meeks, Mario Chalmers AP

We’ve been saying this for a week now, we’ve reached the “hey, wait, I’m worth more than the veteran minimum” portion of the summer.

Jodie Meeks, come on down, you’re next at the podium.

Meeks, who started 50 games for the 76ers last season, is talking to the Lakers, reports the Los Angeles Times. However, his agent David Bauman isn’t sure how long the conversation will go on.

“We’re happy to talk, but we’re not talking minimum for a guy like Jodie,” Bauman told The Times in a phone interview on Monday. “He’ll get more than the minimum wherever he signs.”

That’s a very agent thing to say. Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has said he is only offering the veteran minimum from here on out, as the Lakers are again way over the luxury tax line.

Meeks — who shot just 40.9 percent on his way to 8.4 points a game and was generally pretty pedestrian last season — would make a nice backup guard somewhere. But this is the impact of the new CBA — teams are not paying much for backups and role players. Ideally they will pay the minimum.

The Lakers are not a likely landing spot (they have 12 guys under contract including Andrew Goudelock, they likely will add one or two more on minimum deals before camp opens). But there are not teams out there still looking to spend their mid-level exception on players. So guys like Kenyon Martin and Meeks and other guys out on the market are in for a rude awakening.

1. paulhargis53 - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:06 PM

This is the missing piece for the Lakers!!
    He will get them over the hump!!!

I had to beat Gil Renard to it.

• phaden27 - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:13 AM

You are the Bozosforall of Laker fans. As a Celtics fan, die in a fire.

• bozosforall - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Typical crybaby Boston fan comment.

• phaden27 - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:54 PM

Typical clown reply, all talk no bite. Have a nice day clown.

• bozosforall - Aug 11, 2012 at 1:44 AM

Typical phaded reply. All dust, no substance. Eat sh!t, loser boy

• phaden27 - Aug 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Enjoy your Spurs, they sure did great last season! :D

• bozosforall - Aug 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Given that I am a lifelong Lakers fan, why would I “enjoy” the Spurs? I give them props for having more titles recently than YOUR team though.

2. lakerluver - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Yeah, and I’m looking for Sofia Vergara to ask me to be her baby’s daddy! In other words, it ain’t happening. And getting more than the minimum probably ain’t happening for Meeks either. Would I love to see him back up Kobe, YES. However, if he chooses to go elsewhere and back up a lesser player, on a lesser team, so be it. Some of these 2nd rate players need to go back and listen to what Antwan Jamison said about how it’s an honor and a privilege to play for the LAKERS. If Meeks and his agent don’t see things that way they can kick rocks, the LAKERS don’t need him!! My guess is once he realizes all he’s got coming is the minimum, he will sign with the team that gives him the best chance to win a ring, the LAKERS.

3. lakerluver - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:37 PM

@paulhargis53
    As my fellow LAKER bro–lakerdownunder– said yesterday, dude, you are obsessed with EVERYTHING pertaining to the LAKERS!! If it wasn’t a little creepy it would be hilarious. I imagine you sitting at your computer in your dingy, dark basement searching feverishly for LAKERS news! Just so you can leave your totally clueless comments. It’s becoming a little disturbing, my friend.

• saint1997 - Aug 8, 2012 at 4:57 AM

I like how other fans don’t need to point out the flaws in some of these laker fan’s cases, they will do it for us!

4. paulhargis53 - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

You imagine wrong. I have one of those phones that I can get on the web with.

My comments aren’t clueless, they are true.
    You see, the reason I keep commenting,is because of the smugness you displayed in your post. You know about honor and privilege? You know about kicking Ricks if he chooses another team?

That’s why people detest laker fans.

You know, there is A way to stop it, but you’re too damn dumb to figure it out….

Until then, I will continue to try to educate you. I know its a losing battle, but I always try to aid the less fortunate.

5. lakerluver - Aug 7, 2012 at 6:50 PM

When your favorite team is the very best franchise in the NBA, and arguably in all of sports, AND you have witnessed them raise TEN CHAMPIONSHIP BANNERS IN A LITTLE OVER 30 SEASONS, you have the “right” to be smug. They say the same thing about Yankees fans.

6. paulhargis53 - Aug 7, 2012 at 7:12 PM

But they aren’t the best team in the NBA.
    They haven’t been for 3 years.
    It would be different if you had a clue, but you don’t. Your a loudmouth, over the top, homeristic,know nothing.

You’re a typical idiot. Your team hadn’t been close to a title in 3 years, so you revert to past history.
    1-8 in the last 2 season ending series.
    Their window closed in 09.

Look, there are good Lakers fans, you just aren’t one of them. You have no reasonable views on basketball.

I’d say the same thing to any dopey fan of any team, and I have. You are just so unrealistic. For your age, you should be ashamed of how you act on here.

I just can’t understand how you don’t get how to end this. I guess I gave your more credit than you deserved, intelligence wise.

7. paulhargis53 - Aug 7, 2012 at 7:14 PM

By the way, you’ve been told before, you don’t need to caps lick for emphasis. We get it without it. Doofus.

8. lakerluver - Aug 7, 2012 at 7:53 PM

You’re clueless. The LAKERS franchise is the face of the NBA and has been for decades. Even an idiot knows that.

9. lakerluver - Aug 7, 2012 at 7:55 PM

And you’re right, I am not a good LAKERS fan, I am a GREAT LAKERS FAN!!!!

10. paulhargis53 - Aug 7, 2012 at 8:21 PM

You’re delusional. Right now the Heat are the face of the NBA. LeBron is the best player. Just Luke when Jordan wad around the Bulls were.
    At times in their history, the Lakers have been, mostly the Showtime era. Just not now. The sooner you realize the window has closed, the better off you’ll be.

You are the furthest thing from a great fan there is. Your own fellow fans can’t stand you.
    I’ve never seen a more unrealistic fan in my life. You can rest assured I WILL NOT let you forget about. 1-8 in the last 2 playoff series. No bench, again. Toast in the 2nd round again.

You just can’t help yourself, can you?
    You can’t not reply. Fish.in.a.barrel.

11. bozosforall - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM

paulhargis, you are without a doubt the dumbest poster here. I’ll take the titles tat I’ve witnessed them winning over whatever your second-rate team has done over the course of your time as a fan. You simply suck.

12. bozosforall - Aug 8, 2012 at 12:16 AM

One needs no more proof of your abject stupidity than your uninformed comment that the Lakers windw closed in 2009. One has to wonder wt cave you were living in when the Lakers won the title in 2010.

Thanks for playing. You can pick up your consolation prize in the local bar in Loserville.

• phaden27 - Aug 8, 2012 at 1:14 AM

Keep your mouth closed, the Spurs didn’t win either.

• bozosforall - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:07 PM

I don’t care about the Spurs.

• phaden27 - Aug 9, 2012 at 5:55 PM

Really? You predicted them to win it all this last year? Oh you don’t remember that, figures. Clown.

• bozosforall - Aug 11, 2012 at 1:46 AM

Who did you pick, dumb ass? I doubt that it was the Heat. Go F yourself, rump ranger.

13. paulhargis53 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Gil: Face for decades huh? Im willing to bet The Bulls were when Jordan was playing. I’m willing to bet that the heat are now. Misplaced arrogance on your part.

You are not a great fan. Your own fellow fans detest you. God, if you just had one clue….. I could give you a bit of credit, but you just don’t.

Clown: Semantics. It was the 09-10 season. Youre arguing 2 or 3 years when your team is 1-8 , losing in the 2nd round 2 years running?

Why is it when your team isn’t relevant to the title picture, you fans have to revert to the past glories? How sad a life you live.

I feel sorry for people like you who live vicariously through your sports teams.
    Your well being is determined by how well the Lakers do, or did in the past, just pathetically sad.

I dont root for franchises, just for players.

You calling me a dumb poster, is thelike me giving Deniro acting pointers.

You are the patron saint of dumb posters.

Face it, your precious Lakers are irrelevant to the title picture.

Are you and laker liver brothers? You certainly share some DNA.

• bozosforall - Aug 8, 2012 at 11:13 PM

I’m guessing that your favorite players have hared some of their DNA with you, pudgummer, given how you kneel to service them countless times here. And as for ” living vicariously”, I’ll leave that to a loser like you. Your commentary is beyond me and is only surpassed by your misplaced arrogance. As for your “semantics” comment, just admit that you misspoke due to your ignorance.

14. paulhargis53 - Aug 9, 2012 at 9:08 AM

Typical non response from you Bozo.
    Get whipped verbally and walk away mumbling with your tail between your legs.

At the very least, you’re smart enough to know when you’ve been beat.

Can red hot Warriors sustain success?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches