Aug 7, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
We told you this was coming yesterday. Everyone told you this was coming yesterday.
Now it is official — Dennis Lindsey has been hired as the new General Manager of the Utah Jazz, with former GM Kevin O’Conner stepping up to the role of Vice President of Basketball Operations. Which means he is still going to have his fingerprints all over the player personnel moves.
The Salt Lake Tribune was at the introductory press conference on Tuesday and had these quotes.
“To partner with Kevin [and] to have a mentor is very important to me,” said Lindsey, during a press conference at the team practice facility.
“People are going to ask me why the move now, and this has been in the works for a while,” said O’Connor, who stressed he’ll “continue to be here” but will turn all day-to-day Jazz activity over to Lindsey.
Lindsey — who was with the Spurs and Rockets front offices, and was interviewed for the Magic and other jobs in the past couple years — should be a good fit in Utah, where stability and doing old-school business matters. Note, for example, that they conducted a full on GM search and word of it didn’t leak out until one day before the deal became official. Compare that to Portland or Orlando.
It’s meet the new boss, same as the old boss in Salt Lake City.
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 0
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 13
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 2
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 19
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 9
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 18
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 19