Aug 7, 2012, 3:59 PM EDT
We told you this was coming yesterday. Everyone told you this was coming yesterday.
Now it is official — Dennis Lindsey has been hired as the new General Manager of the Utah Jazz, with former GM Kevin O’Conner stepping up to the role of Vice President of Basketball Operations. Which means he is still going to have his fingerprints all over the player personnel moves.
The Salt Lake Tribune was at the introductory press conference on Tuesday and had these quotes.
“To partner with Kevin [and] to have a mentor is very important to me,” said Lindsey, during a press conference at the team practice facility.
“People are going to ask me why the move now, and this has been in the works for a while,” said O’Connor, who stressed he’ll “continue to be here” but will turn all day-to-day Jazz activity over to Lindsey.
Lindsey — who was with the Spurs and Rockets front offices, and was interviewed for the Magic and other jobs in the past couple years — should be a good fit in Utah, where stability and doing old-school business matters. Note, for example, that they conducted a full on GM search and word of it didn’t leak out until one day before the deal became official. Compare that to Portland or Orlando.
It’s meet the new boss, same as the old boss in Salt Lake City.
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 11
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9