Aug 7, 2012, 3:13 PM EDT
Dan Roundfield, the three-time All-Star and defensive stopper mostly remembered for his time with the Atlanta Hawks in the early 1980s, has drowned while swimming on vacation in Aruba, according to the Atlanta Journal Constitution (via SLAM).
The report said Roundfield’s wife became distressed while swimming at Baby Beach and Roundfield tried to assist her. The Aruba Herald reported that witnesses saw the woman return to shore but that Roundfield was taken out to sea. Authorities found Roundfield’s body under some rocks, the Herald reported.
Aruba police and Roundfield’s sister-in-law, Julia Roundfield, confirmed his death to the Associated Press. Roundfield was 59.
Roundfield could score — he averaged 19 points per game in 1983 and ha a nice midrange jumper that would have been a great fit in today’s game. He also averaged 11.4 rebounds a game in 1983 and 9.2 a game for his career, which also included stops in Indiana, his native Detroit and Washington. He had a career PER of 17.9 (well above the league average).
But it was the other end of the floor where he was a good defensive big that he meant the most to his team. Roundfield came to the NBA out of Central Michigan college and his first professional season was in the ABA with the Pacers before the merger.
Roundfield is survived by his wife and two sons, Corey and Christopher. Our condolences go out to his family on their terrible loss.
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 10
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 26
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17
- Report: Scott Skiles in lead to become next Orlando coach 17
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 16