Aug 7, 2012, 1:57 PM EDT
Things got a little testy… wait, poor choice of words.
Things got a little chippy between the USA and Argentina at the end of the third quarter as the USA was running away with Monday’s Olympic pool play contest. (Yes, that’s better phrasing.) Carmelo Anthony was going up with a three as the quarter ended and Argentina’s Facundo Campazzo punched him in a place a man least wants to be punched. You can watch the video by following this link.
Carmelo Anthony was none to pleased when talking about it Tuesday before practice.
“It was definitely a cheap shot. Something like that, I don’t play like that, I don’t agree with that,” Anthony said. “If you’re going to foul somebody … foul them hard, but you don’t take a shot like that. So I don’t agree with that, but at this point there’s really nothing that nobody can do about it.”
There are some Americans out there who seem outraged by this play.
Those people must not watch NBA games, because we see that kind stuff all the time, it’s just usually more subtle.
Do I need to bring up when Metta World Peace did not live up to his name and gave James Harden a concussion? I’m talking about what Reggie Evans did to Chris Kaman (grabbing where ‘Melo got punched), I’m talking the kind of thing Chris Paul and Kevin Garnett will try to pull off nightly. Kobe Bryant went up in these Olympics and elbowed Lithuania’s Jonas Valanciunas in the throat.
None of this is new, Steve Aschburner of NBA.com reminds us — Karl Malone, Michael Jordan, Bruce Bowen and many other great players were happy to take little cheap shots. If you think it is bad now, talk to guys from the 1960s. But this is America, whatever helps you win.
And while you’re at it you can ask Duke’s opponents if Mike Krzyzewski’s teams are saintly and clean.
This kind of shot is part of basketball at the highest level (do it in a high school game and you should be tossed). Cheap, yes, but far from uncommon. Campazzo wasn’t exactly subtle and if a retaliatory elbow found him during a potential semi-final rematch it wouldn’t be a shock. But spare me any outrage. That was not an out of the blue NBA play.
- Kobe Bryant, can this Laker team make the playoffs? “Of course it can. Absolutely.” 14
- Report: Knicks reach deal with backup center Kevin Seraphin 6
- Raptors officially unveil new uniforms, yes there is a Drake-inspired one 11
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 12
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 22
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4