Video: Russell Westbrook’s monster dunk all over Argentina

Aug 6, 2012, 11:16 PM EDT

Pity Juan Gutiérrez.

He didn’t do anything wrong save be near the rim when Russell Westbrook decided to launch himself and put a monster throwdown on Argentina during the United States’ second half run to put the game away. This may well be the dunk of the Olympics, the kind of thing you should enjoy over and over again. Unless you are a friend of Gutiérrez.

By the way, Westbrook got a taunting technical for the aftermath of this.

Hat tip to The Big Lead (they also have Carmelo Anthony taking an unfortunate hit during the game).

1. bigmeechy74 - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM

Most explosive and athletic PG ever

• Deathmask - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:29 AM

Allen Iverson would like a word with you.

• bigmeechy74 - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:26 AM

When judging which guy is more explosive i will probably side with the guy that does the ferocious dunks instead of the guy that could barely dunk. Don’t get me wrong I love Iverson and he was a better scorer and player but I’m talking about pure athleticism, strength, and leaping ability.

• qwertify - Aug 7, 2012 at 7:03 AM

More like, Derrick Rose would like to have a word with you.

• connaniii - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Allen Iverson could never throw it down that hard!

2. someidiotfromouthereintheprojects - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

he’s probably one of the most underrated pg’s ever because the talent around him. russell westbrook would probably put up 30 points a night no matter what uniform he was wearing. he could do what he does playing for my bobcats.

3. lookitsgreen - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I liked Durant’s dance better than the dunk

• zblott - Aug 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM

A dunk against no defense that would not have wowed a Dunk Contest crowd might be overrated.

If you want to see what real in-game dunks look like, cue up some Tom Chambers please:

• hannsta - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Pretty sure its their thing, I have seen him do that multiple times after Westbrook dunks.

4. mannyicey - Aug 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Russell Westbrook and Derrick Rose had A.I. posters in their room as kids. Respect his game, because even though he didn’t dunk much, he basically carried the Sixers. But Derrick Rose is the closest thing to A.I.

5. seattle513 - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Baron Davis, in his prime, would like to have a word with you !! Heck, Baron Davis was even the better explosive UCLA Bruin, as a lot of you didn’t know that both Davis and Westbrook attended UCLA

6. hannsta - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM

First time Ive ever seen someone get a technical for dunking too hard on someone.

7. mannyicey - Aug 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

That zblott guy almost had me until he broke out with Tom Chambers. You remember that guy from the Phoenix Suns? Wow! I mean, he had some good dunks, but he was a PF and Center.

You might as well said Shaq or Moses Malone or Patrick Ewing or any of those guys if you were going to talk about a Center! I mean, we were talking about Point Guards, though.

zblott, you’re a white guy, right? You researched the only white Center with a highlight reel on Youtube and Tom Chambers is what you came up with.

LOL! So I just did what you did: I Googled “Best White Dunker in the NBA.” Guess who came up?! A Bleacher Report naming Tom Chambers the best white dunker of All Time! LOL!!!

(By the way, if you take out the “White” part out of the search; you will find that Michael Jordan was the best dunker of all-time)

8. jolink653 - Aug 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Love the Harlem Shake by Durant right after he threw it down…Hope someone mails a poster of that to Gutierrez and maybe pays a person to drive to Facundo Campazzo’s house to kick him in the nuts

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches