Aug 6, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
The Millers run the Utah Jazz like an old-school family business in a lot of ways — it’s about relationships and once they are established they a very loyal bunch. Well, as long as they think you are going to be loyal to them (see: Williams, Deron).
Along those lines comes this news, via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Utah general manager Kevin O’Connor is moving into top executive position with Jazz and running search to hire a GM, sources tell Y! Sports.
The front runner for the newly open general manager spot seems to be Dennis Lindsey of the Spurs front office, Woj reports. The Jazz spoke to Oklahoma City’s Troy Weaver and Cleveland assistant GM David Griffin but both of those are now out of the running.
The new GM will be tasked with building a winner around some young pieces like Derrick Favors, as well as Gordon Hayward, as well as figuring out how much they are willing to pay Paul Millsap when he hits the open market next summer.
Whoever gets hired, don’t expect big changes in Utah. That’s not how they do business.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18