Aug 6, 2012, 4:44 PM EDT
The Millers run the Utah Jazz like an old-school family business in a lot of ways — it’s about relationships and once they are established they a very loyal bunch. Well, as long as they think you are going to be loyal to them (see: Williams, Deron).
Along those lines comes this news, via Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports and the NBC Sports Network.
Utah general manager Kevin O’Connor is moving into top executive position with Jazz and running search to hire a GM, sources tell Y! Sports.
The front runner for the newly open general manager spot seems to be Dennis Lindsey of the Spurs front office, Woj reports. The Jazz spoke to Oklahoma City’s Troy Weaver and Cleveland assistant GM David Griffin but both of those are now out of the running.
The new GM will be tasked with building a winner around some young pieces like Derrick Favors, as well as Gordon Hayward, as well as figuring out how much they are willing to pay Paul Millsap when he hits the open market next summer.
Whoever gets hired, don’t expect big changes in Utah. That’s not how they do business.
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 2
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 4
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 29
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record