Aug 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
It is very much the “dating but not in a relationship” kind of deal. There have been reports that Andray Blatche was on the Heat’s radar. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Heat are looking at him, but it’s far from a done deal, especially because of Blatche’s market value:
..just because, as ESPN reported, the Heat are doing their background work on Blatche, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are poised for a move. Yes, Andray has a place in South Florida and has been working out here, but for a player looking to rebuild his NBA career, there might be better places than a roster where his opportunities could be limited. While it might be worth the risk for the Heat, it might not be a move in Blatche’s best interests, particularly when considering how Eddy Curry, on a tryout deal of his own last season, essentially vanished.
The Heat could only sign Blatche for the veteran minimum, and while Blatche has certainly found himself on the wrong side of most executives (or he would have been swooped by now, if not kept by the Wizards themselves for trade value), he’s young enough to draw interest. Zach Randolph has redeemed his career. Chris Andersen did for some time, J.R. Smith. The league is filled with guys with questionable on and off-court issues who got it together. There’s no reason to think Blatche would have to be desperate enough to take the league minimum, even if it might take him a few months to find a team with an injury issue desperate enough to pay him.
On the other hand, he’d be able to showcase his talents really effectively off the bench with the Heat, and be wide open a lot of the time due to the attention the Big 3 draws. That might put him in a position to raise his stock. But for right now, I wouldn’t go rushing out to buy that Blatche Heat jersey yet.
You’re not rushing to do that anyway, are you?
- Report: Jeff Van Gundy candidate for Pelicans’ coaching job 0
- Cavs’ improved defense deserves credit for commanding 2-0 Eastern Conference Finals lead 13
- No Kyrie Irving, no problem: Cavaliers cruise to blowout Game 2 win over Hawks 16
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 2 vs. Hawks 6
- PBT Extra: Klay Thompson’s done well, but Warriors should throw other defenders at James Harden, too 5
- PBT Extra: Give Warriors defense some credit for stop of Harden on last play 0
- Lakers general manager says Kobe Bryant told him next season will be Kobe’s last with Lakers 17
- For two games James Harden has been brilliant, but that’s not what anybody is talking about 25