Aug 6, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
It is very much the “dating but not in a relationship” kind of deal. There have been reports that Andray Blatche was on the Heat’s radar. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that the Heat are looking at him, but it’s far from a done deal, especially because of Blatche’s market value:
..just because, as ESPN reported, the Heat are doing their background work on Blatche, it doesn’t necessarily mean they are poised for a move. Yes, Andray has a place in South Florida and has been working out here, but for a player looking to rebuild his NBA career, there might be better places than a roster where his opportunities could be limited. While it might be worth the risk for the Heat, it might not be a move in Blatche’s best interests, particularly when considering how Eddy Curry, on a tryout deal of his own last season, essentially vanished.
The Heat could only sign Blatche for the veteran minimum, and while Blatche has certainly found himself on the wrong side of most executives (or he would have been swooped by now, if not kept by the Wizards themselves for trade value), he’s young enough to draw interest. Zach Randolph has redeemed his career. Chris Andersen did for some time, J.R. Smith. The league is filled with guys with questionable on and off-court issues who got it together. There’s no reason to think Blatche would have to be desperate enough to take the league minimum, even if it might take him a few months to find a team with an injury issue desperate enough to pay him.
On the other hand, he’d be able to showcase his talents really effectively off the bench with the Heat, and be wide open a lot of the time due to the attention the Big 3 draws. That might put him in a position to raise his stock. But for right now, I wouldn’t go rushing out to buy that Blatche Heat jersey yet.
You’re not rushing to do that anyway, are you?
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 3
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 20
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 30
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 49