Report: Kenyon Martin talking to Nets, Lakers

Aug 6, 2012, 1:51 PM EDT

Kenyon Martin AP

Things haven’t really changed that much on the Kenyon Martin front — he wants to get paid, not the league minimum but real money. And that’s not out there.

The Knicks might want him back at the minimum, but that’s not who Martin is talking to, according to Sam Amick at Sports Illustrated.

Kenyon Martin, meanwhile, isn’t so lucky. The 12-year veteran was a key reserve for the Clippers, his impact going way beyond his marginal numbers (5.2 points, 4.3 rebounds) for a team that reached the second round of the playoffs for the second time in franchise history. But sources said the 34-year-old power forward is holding up this later stage of the hiring process for frontcourt free agents, with the Lakers and the Nets among the teams he’s considering and negotiation leverage seemingly gone because so many of his colleagues seem willing to take minimum deals.

The Lakers are not offering anybody more than the minimum, team GM Mitch Kupchak said. The Nets are in the same boat.

This is what the new CBA brings.

With the harsher penalties of a stricter luxury tax kicking in next summer what you are seeing is this hitting the NBA’s middle class — teams will spend on real difference makers but if you are a role player you are going to get less money and shorter deals. Teams are not paying the tax for you, they will sacrifice a little experience and quality to save money.

Look at what one agent told Amick.

“Do I think that in the new CBA that you’re going to see a greater number of minimum wage players? Yes, there’s no doubt about it,” agent Marc Cornstein said. “I think you’re already seeing that and I think it’s a trend that will probably continue. More shorter deals and minimum deals.”

Martin is one of those guys now. He is not going to want to accept it. Neither are guys like Anthony Tolliver, Leandro Barbosa, Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus, but it is the new reality.

1. cantonbound13 - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:51 PM

He needs the money to get that ridiculous tatoo removed from his neck.

• saint1997 - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:38 AM

haha still he has earned over 100 million in his career. Stop being such a bitch and join your mates JKidd, Melo and JR with the Knicks man! I’d rather his tattoo issues than the Birdman

2. paulhargis53 - Aug 6, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Im waiting for the whack job to come on and spout what a GREAT addition this would be to the Lakers and how this signing , will PUT THEM OVER THE HUMP.
    I need not name him, we all know who he is.

• lakerdownunder - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:46 PM

I think it’s so hilarious that you are so obsessed with the Lakers. All you seem to do is comment on them…

• saint1997 - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:36 AM

Just to clarify i only liked your comment because you’re from Australia :)

3. jgray30 - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:22 PM

The Lakers really dont have a use for him. Already signed a shooter in Jamison, brought Hill back, no need for lipsneck. I hope they spend their money on a sg or a true backup pg. Idk if Blake is even good enough to be a backup.

• dls612 - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Other than Bynum who’s a better defender than him on the Lakers? Lakers are ok offensively. If you think they’ll get pass the thunder, spurs or clippers without defense, think again. They could’ve did without Jamison. Defense wins games just ask the thunder!

4. jgray30 - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:33 PM

Actually now that i think about, i would slode AJ down to the 3, sign KM. They will def need a backup for Kobe and a backup pg. PLEASE get rid of of McRoberts, Kapono, and that other scrub Murphy. Completely and utterly WORTHLESS!

• rjlink1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:17 PM

Dude, Kapono was traded as part of the Ramon Sessions deal. Troy Murphy played out his deal already. McRoberts has one more year left.

5. watermelon1 - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Okay, I understand the point… But those guys in the last paragraph are not anywhere near Kenyon Martin’s level!

• sellahh - Aug 6, 2012 at 6:05 PM

Share some of your dope with me man, I’m broke.

6. fanz928 - Aug 6, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Lakers need him for defense Jamison is a good offense forward but his defense sucks and Martin is a good defender could be a good addition for any team

7. lakerluver - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:08 PM

@paulhargis,
    According to you the only team that’s signed any “good” free agents this off-season is Boston. Mitch K. did a masterful job bringing Nash and Jamison to Los Angeles. And resigning Jordan Hill was also a good move. To round out a championship roster the LAKERS are probably gonna sign either K. Mart or Meeks. I’m hoping for the later because he will fill a big need. And after all that wheeling and dealing the franchise will STILL be in the position to land Superman. Masterful!! But you’re so envious of the PURPLE AND GOLD you can’t even give Mitch any credit. What’s it gonna take?!! Maybe after the LAKERS trade for D12 you’ll show some respect. However, my guess is WHEN that happens you’ll still find a way to disparage the LAKERS. Dude, you’re a freakin moron!!

8. paulhargis53 - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:34 PM

1st off, I find it quite humorous that you see the term whack job and automatically think of yourself!!

Secondly, I have never said the Celtics ate the only ones who hae improved themselves. The Nets, Knicks, Bucks and Timberwolves have, to name a few. I ne er said Nash wasnt an improvement. I said he was old, which he is. But Jamison? A 36 year old 1 dimensional player? Meeks? A washed up KMart? A never wad in Barborosa? Those are end if the bench additions, not guys that should be playing heavy minutes! The bench, even if those guys get added will suck a$$.

Get it through your empty skull doofus, I don’t hate the Lakers. I detest over the top know nothing fans like yourself. You have zero sense when it comes to your teams.

You remind of Deniros role in The Fan.
    I’m going to start calling you Gil Renard.

It’s really quite sad that you have to lie about what I post to try to make yourself look better or smarter.

It doesn’t matter, as you’ve proven yourself to be a tool over and over.
    You are continuously are being called out, its not just me……

• 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:50 AM

It funny cause you say what a “tool” lakerluver is for his post but do you notice how many thumbs down you get for every one of yours and what you say? Your an idiot who has nothing knowledgible to say and the readers of PBT know this. Go ahead and respond with one of your “witty” quips to make you sleep good at night but the fact still remainds.

9. lakerluver - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:49 PM

@paulhargis53,
    I don’t recall Boston signing the likes of Bird, Parish or McHale this offseason, clown!! So, you’re saying Boston couldn’t use Jamison or Meeks off the bench? I guess making that ridiculous claim is better than accepting the fact that Boston simply can’t attract “good” free agents, huh?!! Of course you probably consider a broken down Jason Terry a “good” free agent. Then why didn’t Dallas want him anymore?!

10. lakerluver - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:56 PM

@paulhargis,
    “Continuously being called out?!! By whom, the likes of you, and those other two freaks, shockexchange and isujames?!! Hahaha, aka “The 3 Stooges”!!!

• 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2012 at 2:59 AM

WORD! lol

11. paulhargis53 - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:06 PM

downunder: Youd do well to just keep your nose out of it. Trust me, you don’t have the chops to hang.

Gil Renard: No, they wouldn’t have a need for either of those pos players. What they have on their roster is far superior.
    Are you dry shaving me about Terry? I can’t believe how idiotic you make yourself look.
    Terry didn’t resign in Dallas because they are trying to keep their books clear for next year.
    You just can’t keep your vs straight.On a Celtics post, you say the Celtics are better off with Terry, now on this thread, he’s “broken down”. That’s why you get called out by several people, you’re a freaking homersitic dunce that can’t keep his lies straight.

By the way down under, in case you haven’t seen the other 50 times I posted, I don’t hate the Lakers, I detest over the top, know nothing homer fans, there is A plethora of laker fans like that.

12. tsi431 - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:41 PM

But wait, no one want to play with Kobe. Idiots.

13. lakerluver - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

@ph53, they ARE better with Terry, because he’s “less” broken down than Ray Allen!! What about Boston signing Jeff Green?! You mean to tell me signing Jamison wouldn’t have been better?!! Even at this stage of his career Jamison is better than Jeff “I’ve never seen a shot I don’t like” Green. Give me a freakin break!! Two more seasons of being borderline contenders for Bean town and it’s back to mediocrity!!! Remember how it was before KG and Jesus Shuttlesworth rode in on their white horses to save a dying franchise? Get ready, it’s coming again, clown!!

14. paulhargis53 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:58 PM

Gil: Jamison is 36 years old. Jamison had put up decent stats on crap teams for 8 years. Green is career .445 shooter, hardly the low % guy you are trying to make him out to be. He’s also much younger and athletic.Yes, is rather have the younger guy. His best years ate ahead of him. Man, you are a dope.
    Then you go and try to cover yourself with the less broken comment. Typical of you, but quite transparent nonetheless.
    You aren’t smart. Either that, or you’re mentally challenged. Boston, unlike L.A., tends to draft good players.When’s the last tim the Lakers had a pick that was worth a tin shit? Kobe?
    Look doofus. I can’t type it slower, so you’re going to have someone read it to you and explain it.

ONCE GARNETT RETIRES IN BOSTON, I’M NO LONGER A CELTICS FAN!!
    GET IT?!?!
    I won’t give a crap if they aren’t good anymore. I don’t know why you think that senseless rambling would bother me.

You don’t get a lit of things. You don’t get that the Lakers are older than the Celtics.
    You refuse to understand the landscape is changing and will change more in the NBA. You think its going to be business as usual like years prior- everyone knows it but you and a few of your ignorant fanbase brethren.
    The window for the Lakers has closed. They aren’t getting by the younger, more athletic Thunder, hell the Clippers are rapidly gaining on them.
    Their bench still sucks, adding a past his prime KMart means squat. Jamison isn’t gettting a lot of minutes. Are they gonna Olay Kobe or Gasol less? That’s insane.

No back up pg worth anything.

Keep hoping against hope that Howard comes. If it was going to happen, it would have already.

Can’t wait to tell you I told you so. 2nd round exit again….

• lakers323 - Aug 14, 2012 at 7:16 AM

lmfao with d12 on the roster there won’t be no 2nd round exit but instead you gonna be watching my lakers on tv cruising down figueroa st ;)

• lakers323 - Aug 14, 2012 at 7:24 AM

OH yeah the clippers have cp3, blake no post up griffin, deandre the magician jordan cause he disappeared in the post season & who else chauncey injury prone billups and list go on and on.

Thunder will not past the lakers this season or the season after the reason for that now that they acquired howard they will be forced to play kobe one on one bball which is a no no ;)

15. dagonz67 - Aug 6, 2012 at 11:18 PM

Now Now Both you guys need a timeout, Here is the deal, Mitch is an OK GM not great, OK, Lakers have a good reputation, for spending the time and money to get the right players to win. They are the only team that when they lose in the 2nd round of the play offs or don’t win a championship they are considered losers. So players naturally want to come to showtime. Mitch got Hill (so what, he was already a Laker) Got Nash, but Nash, not Mitch, worked out with the Suns big wigs to get here. and Jamison, he wants a ring( He is a real bargain though) Mitch could not get, West, Grant Hill, Sessions, CJ Miles, Rush, Lee,Young, Brewer, and probably Meeks. As it looks now Howard (not his fault). Riley and Ainge probably would have gotten at least one of them. There Bench was a 1 (out of 5) could not beat a D league team, to maybe a 3 They still need a good backup guard combo and a small forward with good D and can score. Jamison can play 3 but he is more comfortable at 4

16. 00maltliquor - Aug 7, 2012 at 3:06 AM

If this went down I’d welcome K Mart with open arms. Although I don’t see the need with the signings of Hill and Jamison. But if it keeps McBob off the floor then it’s a win-win. Where we can really use the help is at either gaurd spot. I like D Morris and Goudelock but it doesn’t look like Brown will give them the time of day to develope. Barbosa would be more suited instead of trippleling up on PF’s. I’d also like the rumor of Jodie Meeks coming true.

17. mrphootball - Aug 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

@paulhargus53

You need to not worry so much about the lakers. Worry about getting out of the east there big mouth.

18. paulhargis53 - Aug 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

Malt: You actually pay attention to the thumbs up/ down? That says a lot about you as a person.
    I dont need the validation of a bunch of nameless, faceless people. Evidently you do.
    It’s pretty simple really, I’m on a Lakers post, telling the truth about the team. I’m doing it in an antagonistic way, you really think Lakers fans will thumbs up that?

I pity you that you actually think the amount of thumbs up you get, corresponds to the amount of knowledge you have. You worrying about that explains a lot.
    It’s also amusing that with the Lakers picking through the junk pile of fa remaining, that you think these would be great signings. These starters outside of Arrest, are going to have to play major minutes. Not smart. The bench once again, will be the death knell of this team.

Reality still hasn’t hit home, has it?
    You guys claim that the luxury tax is not an obstacle, then why are they only offering minimum contracts? That should tell you , that you aren’t getting these players. But, no, you still have your head buried.

19. khuxford - Aug 7, 2012 at 12:18 PM

Shame that the players worked for or accepted a deal that sets up such a disparity between the haves and have-nots on the player-side.

20. freeagentsignee - Aug 9, 2012 at 12:07 AM

Get a deal Kenyon, Nets!
    Drafted first overall by the 2000 Nets!
    Two time EC champion with the Nets!

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches