Quote of the Day: Deng tells Bulls nation to chill out. Politely.

Aug 6, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT

610x-6 Reuters

“Did I look like I needed surgery? I’m fine right now. I feel great.”

—Chicago Bull Luol Deng after he and Great Britain knocked off China 90-58 to win one game in Olympic pool play and finish 9th in the tournament (better than many expected coming in). Deng has a bad wrist and there are questions about whether or not he needs surgery to repair it before next season. The quote comes via Marc Stein of ESPN.

As for Deng, he shot 3-of-13 for this game and 31 percent from the floor for the entire Olympic tournament… so, maybe he should have that wrist looked at again. To be fair, he was the focus of every opposing team’s defense and he was the best player on the Brittish team. But he was not phenominal, either. The Bulls will already be without Rose for much of this season, isn’t it better for Deng to get right than fight through it for chance at a lower-half seed in the playoffs?

1. dvic13 - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:18 PM

“Did I look like I needed surgery? I’m fine right now. I feel great.”

Is he joking? He says this after the way he shot, he can’t be serious.

2. beagle11 - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Deng missing significant time and Rose shutting it down for most of the season might be the best thing that could happen for this franchise. Just ask the 96-87 Spurs

• passerby23 - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:56 PM

I’m assuming you mean the 96-97 Spurs, and I think you’re right. They’re not winning a championship this season, so why not get Rose and Deng back to full strength, get a decent draft pick, and open up your wallet in free agency for a big name, and build a legitimate contender for next season rather than trying to push your luck and your best players’ health?

3. dls612 - Aug 6, 2012 at 6:46 PM

Is there anybody from the bulls advising him to get the surgery? They gonna need all the help they can get! Brace yourselves bull fans this is gonna hurt!

• berto55 - Aug 6, 2012 at 8:14 PM

Actually I bet they want him to get surgery so they can write off next season completely. Personally, I hope they trade him and start over. Talk about overvaluing your own guy.

• saint1997 - Aug 7, 2012 at 5:27 AM

I don’t think he is that bad but i still think you could trade him. I am not aware of the salary situation but I actually think a Deng for Gay swap would benefit both sides immensely. Rose gets more offence next to him and Deng fits in well with the dominant post play of the grizzlies

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches