Aug 6, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
The Barclays Center in Brooklyn is going to open this fall with a Mikhail Prokhorov concert…
Well, not exactly. It’s going to be a couple nights of Jay-Z shows. That probably sells a little better.
But the Nets majority owner apparently thinks he is going to join the minority owner and face of the franchise during those opening shows… okay, Prokhorov is probably joking. Maybe somebody should have run that joke by Jay-Z first.
In February, the owner of the Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov, appeared on a Russian television comedy show called Spotlight Paris Hilton, and offered a musical tribute to his co-owner, hip-hop star Jay-Z.
“Mr. Jay-Z, this rap is for you,” went the English portion of the lyrics. “Mr. Jay-Z, this is the first presentation/of real rap music from Russian Federation. Mr. Jay-Z, you are not alone/Mikhail Prokhorov on the microphone.”
According to Mr. Prokhorov, a reprise is in the works, but this time in downtown Brooklyn, where Jay-Z will open the $1 billion Barclays Center with a series of sold-out concerts this fall. “Yes, I will rap at his concert,” Mr. Prokhorov informed Crain’s via email. “I am in rehearsals now 10 hours a day and plan to demand joint billing.”
First… yes, he’s joking around.
Second, there is a Russian comedy show called “Spotlight Paris Hilton?” How did I not know this and where can I find bootleg copies?
Third and finally, maybe this isn’t happening but I would love it if it would.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 4
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43