Aug 6, 2012, 1:19 PM EDT
The Barclays Center in Brooklyn is going to open this fall with a Mikhail Prokhorov concert…
Well, not exactly. It’s going to be a couple nights of Jay-Z shows. That probably sells a little better.
But the Nets majority owner apparently thinks he is going to join the minority owner and face of the franchise during those opening shows… okay, Prokhorov is probably joking. Maybe somebody should have run that joke by Jay-Z first.
In February, the owner of the Brooklyn Nets, Mikhail Prokhorov, appeared on a Russian television comedy show called Spotlight Paris Hilton, and offered a musical tribute to his co-owner, hip-hop star Jay-Z.
“Mr. Jay-Z, this rap is for you,” went the English portion of the lyrics. “Mr. Jay-Z, this is the first presentation/of real rap music from Russian Federation. Mr. Jay-Z, you are not alone/Mikhail Prokhorov on the microphone.”
According to Mr. Prokhorov, a reprise is in the works, but this time in downtown Brooklyn, where Jay-Z will open the $1 billion Barclays Center with a series of sold-out concerts this fall. “Yes, I will rap at his concert,” Mr. Prokhorov informed Crain’s via email. “I am in rehearsals now 10 hours a day and plan to demand joint billing.”
First… yes, he’s joking around.
Second, there is a Russian comedy show called “Spotlight Paris Hilton?” How did I not know this and where can I find bootleg copies?
Third and finally, maybe this isn’t happening but I would love it if it would.
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 8
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 19
- PBT Extra: What players looked good at World Cup? 4
- Time for FIBA/NBA to adopt soccer model: Only one major tournament every four years 16
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Brooklyn Nets 3
- Five lessons learned from the FIBA World Cup 10
- USA celebrates gold medal with lots of dancing (except Derrick Rose) 12
- Too much World Cup MVP Kyrie Irving for Serbia to handle as USA wins gold easily 129-92 30