Celtics’ Jeff Green says he feels “awesome,” is back playing

Aug 6, 2012, 3:05 PM EDT

Jeff Green Getty Images

Boston missed Jeff Green last year.

He was going to be their sixth man, the first wing off the bench, a key contributor before he was found to have a heart condition that required surgery. We can discuss how I think Celtics fans (and at first Thunder fans before them) overvalued Green, but it was still quite a drop off when he left.

Green is back next season, one of the reasons the Celtics look like they may be stronger than they were last season (put the usual “if they can stay healthy” disclaimer here).

Green has sounded positive lately and did again on the Heels to Hoops blog written by former Sports Illustrated swimsuit model Damaris Lewis (via CSNNE.com).

“I feel awesome. I actually feel a lot better than I did prior to the surgery. It was a blessing, and I’m doing better now.”

I’m happy for Green — that was a life threatening condition that could have ended tragically if not caught by doctors.

The Celtics have agreed to terms with Green but have not formally announced his deal. He will be overpaid at $9 million a year for multiple years — that is how much he was supposed to make before the heart condition that voided his last deal. It was nice of the Celtics to offer that much again. But he would have been overpaid last year as well.

Still, the Celtics are going to be better with him, and it will be good to see him on the court again.

1. liljere24 - Aug 6, 2012 at 3:11 PM

How many times can you take that “overpaid shot” at him? Seriously, stop trying to be sarcastic for humor, your not funny at all. Focus on quality, not pumping out a million pointless articles a day that some how always end up being about Lebron.

• passerby23 - Aug 6, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Kurt Helin is incapable of talking about Jeff Green without mentioning that he’s overvalued and overpaid, or taking a jab at Celtics fans who say he would’ve made a difference in the playoffs.

• censoredpost - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Well at least he doesn’t censor your posts when you smack him. Try saying anything anti-league/his position on a Florio post (pft)and it gets deleted. I like the frequency of posts by Mr Helin. And while he occasionally mixes up a name (Gerald Henderson not Wallace on the Nyets), I usually find the piece entertaining if not informative. Besides I’m jonesin for hoops news over here and he gives a good fix.

Oh and until Green proves it, I’m calling him overpaid too, each and every time I hear his name.

• passerby23 - Aug 6, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Well, I don’t think NOT censoring posts is the mark of a great website. That being said, I obviously follow this site for basketball more than any other. I find the commenting section is cleaner and more organized.

Second, whether Green is overvalued or not, it doesn’t need to be mentioned in every article about the guy.

Third, he would’ve been paid that somewhere else and he helps the Celtics, so give the man his money. I think the money is about right. Remember, the Pierce/KG era is coming to an end. He’ll be a nice guy to ease the transition with, plus a lot of cap space will be available for some other quality players in a couple years.

2. dls612 - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

Damn you mad!

3. GT - Aug 6, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Skeptically optimistic he can be a valuable contributor and lose the “potential” label. Hope he shows that contract wasn’t a mistake.

4. therealhtj - Aug 6, 2012 at 9:10 PM

The guy’s shown pretty much nothing his entire career. Glad he’s healthy, but to expect him being much more than a journeyman 3 is overly optimistic.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches