Aug 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Don’t expect Spike Lee to be rocking the black-and-white at any point next season.
With the Nets headed to Barclays to open their first season in Brooklyn, there will be some defections. Some fans aren’t all that committed and it won’t take much to get them on board with the idea of swapping out the Knicks’ dysfunction and CAA, I mean, James Dolan’s whims of fancy for the Mad Russian and his eccentric Netcentrics. With Spike Lee being from Brooklyn and constantly speaking in support of the borough, you had to wonder if he would be betraying the Garden as his home.
Not so much.
From the New York Times:
“I wish I had a dollar for every time people ask me that — I could finance another film,” he says. “No, no and no. Can’t do that. Can’t.
“I am orange and blue, baby,” he says in reference to the colors of the Knicks. “Orange and blue.”
You can bet that Lee will both be welcome and in attendance on opening night vs. his Knicks at Barclays, and will take in a game from time to time when it fits better with his schedule. But the guy is an icon at Knicks games (hence why this is actually relevant to you) and you don’t just stop being as much of a psycho Knicks fan all of a sudden. Nike should jump on the opportunity to get him in an ad for the rivalry, though, because that’s going to get crazy in a hurry.
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 17
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 2
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 34
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 9
- Report: Rondo “open” to re-signing in Dallas, Houston if traded there 20
- PBT’s Wednesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: You will not question if Memphis is legit again 19