Aug 5, 2012, 11:00 AM EDT
Don’t expect Spike Lee to be rocking the black-and-white at any point next season.
With the Nets headed to Barclays to open their first season in Brooklyn, there will be some defections. Some fans aren’t all that committed and it won’t take much to get them on board with the idea of swapping out the Knicks’ dysfunction and CAA, I mean, James Dolan’s whims of fancy for the Mad Russian and his eccentric Netcentrics. With Spike Lee being from Brooklyn and constantly speaking in support of the borough, you had to wonder if he would be betraying the Garden as his home.
Not so much.
From the New York Times:
“I wish I had a dollar for every time people ask me that — I could finance another film,” he says. “No, no and no. Can’t do that. Can’t.
“I am orange and blue, baby,” he says in reference to the colors of the Knicks. “Orange and blue.”
You can bet that Lee will both be welcome and in attendance on opening night vs. his Knicks at Barclays, and will take in a game from time to time when it fits better with his schedule. But the guy is an icon at Knicks games (hence why this is actually relevant to you) and you don’t just stop being as much of a psycho Knicks fan all of a sudden. Nike should jump on the opportunity to get him in an ad for the rivalry, though, because that’s going to get crazy in a hurry.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 32
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 64
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 18
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 7
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 2
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 11
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 8
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31