Aug 5, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Really, New Orleans’ luck had been going too well.
They draft Austin Rivers, he has surgery. They trade for Robin Lopez, now he has knee surgery. It’s fine, it’s just not the kind of thing you want right off the bat as the rebuilding project gets underway. From the team’s presser:
The New Orleans Hornets announced today that center Robin Lopez underwent successful surgery to correct a tear of his medial meniscus in his left knee.
Lopez was acquired July 27 along with forward Hakim Warrick and cash considerations from the Phoenix Suns. The 7’0’’ center averaged 5.4 points and 3.3 rebounds for the Suns last season in 14.0 minutes over 64 games.
The procedure was performed by Dr. El Attrache at the Kerlan Jobe Clinic in Los Angeles. Lopez is expected to make a full recovery and be ready for training camp this fall.
So not just arthroscopic, but a tear, albeit in the meniscus. Great. Fantastic.
Lopez has had a rash of injuries in his young career, and that’s not a great sign. But these things happen, and he’s expected to recover. But bear in mind he’s got two months to get healthy from surgery. Not ideal.
But the Hornets were prepared to go smallball regardless, for if they hadn’t pulled off the trade for Lopez, they would have had only Jason Smith as a reliable center. The surgery went well and Lopez can likely recover with no ill effects. It’s just a concern for the knife to be necessary so soon after the Hornets’ acquisition of him.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 11
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 9
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 45
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record