Aug 5, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Salt Lake Tribune reports that the Utah Jazz have offered forward Paul Millsap a three-year, $25 million max contract extension, showing their commitment to the near All-Star. Unfortunately, for a variety of reasons, they’re not going to be able to avoid Millsap hitting the open market, according to the report:
Initial indications are Millsap won’t agree to the extension, though, preferring to enter free agency in 2013 with plans to cash in on an inflated 2012 market that saw mid-tier forwards such as Gerald Wallace, Andrei Kirilenko, Nicolas Batum and Ryan Anderson recently receive lucrative multiyear contracts.
No shocker there. On top of the ability to test where he wants to go and the value of market competition raising his price tag, the new CBA, as we’ve tried to point out time and time again, makes it a near-absurdity to ever sign an extension. By becoming a free agent, Millsap will be eligible for a four-year deal from any other team and a five-year deal from the Jazz.
Millsap signed for four-years and $32 million in 2009 which was thought to be excessive at the time and has quickly become one of the better value contracts in the league. If Millsap’s approach shifts from “I want to see what’s out there” to “I’m definitely leaving,” we could see the budget version of the trade dilemmas that have faced other small markets dealing with available stars. Millsap should have been targeted by teams over the past two years looking for a budget star. He’s a versatile center who can power inside and step out and hit the three, rebounds well and has no injury concerns. He’s the guy you want if you want a complimentary star to an alpha dog.
We’ll have to see if the talk of leaving is just talk, and if so, if Millsap can get the kind of big money from Utah he’ll want, even with that loaded frontcourt.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9