Aug 5, 2012, 1:00 PM EDT
Lavoy Allen made a name for himself in the playoffs last year as “The KG Stopper.” He did a phenomenal job against Garnett, who had been dominant in the playoffs up until that point. Naturally, Doug Collins went away from Allen and played Spencer Hawes for longer stretches, despite Garnett taking Hawes’ lunch money and throwing him in the deep puddle in the parking lot. Which isn’t some huge knock. It’s Kevin Garnett.
But apparently that wasn’t enough for Doug Collins, who said that Hawes and newcomer Kwame Brown will start next year, making for a killer combination of players with terrible production relative to their draft stock. Both players are capable, Hawes offensively, Brown defensively, but Allen has higher upside and brought more to the table last year.
Allen, though, isn’t bothered by his coach’s comments. From CSN Philadelphia:
“It doesn’t bother me,” Allen said while at an appearance for a basketball showcase at the Tabernacle Baptist Church in South Jersey on Saturday afternoon. “You never know what can happen once training camp rolls around. You don’t know who’s going to do what. Coach says that now, but you never know what he’s thinking. He switched the lineup many times last year.”
What’s the over/under on how long until Allen cements the starting job? 25 games? Maybe 40? It’s entirely possible that Allen takes a step back, he didn’t set the world on fire last season or anything, he just played well and with an aggressiveness the Sixers need down low. But Hawes also played above his career production last season. It’ll be interesting to see how this dynamic plays out during the course of the season. But if the Sixers face the Celtics in the playoffs again and the same decision tree is used, Garnett could once again feast and be the deciding factor.
- Bruce Bowen says blame for James Harden’s defense falls on McHale, Rockets 6
- NBA to review domestic violence policies in wake of NFL’s ugliness. It shouldn’t have taken that. 11
- Cavaliers lift ban on fan who ran onto court with LeBron James shirt 14
- Blake Griffin said he knew Donald Sterling was racist, wasn’t really surprised by tape 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Chicago Bulls 10
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 17
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11