Aug 4, 2012, 8:25 PM EDT
Tattoo artists of New York, don’t get your hopes up too high yet, but a big new canvas could be coming to town… if you can find some space on it.
But like we said, don’t get your hopes up yet. We’re a long way from knowing how this story ends.
Chris Andersen — the Birdman — is still out there as a free agent power forward after being amnestied by the Denver Nuggets. And Andersen is willing to play for the veteran’s minimum, a source told Jared Zwerling of ESPNNewYork.com.
So who could use a shot blocking veteran big man who can score a little to come off the bench, and do so on the cheap?
The Knicks could. They are talking about adding a four to the roster, someone who can spell Amare Stoudemire and can play along side Carmelo Anthony. Ideally they would like Kenyon Martin but he wants more than the veteran minimum and that is all the Knicks can offer.
But the Birdman, he could be a fallback guy, Zwerling suggests. And Andersen likes the idea of playing in New York, where he could team up with Denver buddy J.R. Smith. He’s played with ‘Melo before as well. If not the Birdman, the Knicks could go with Andray Blatche, Louis Amundson or D.J. White.
But Andersen is represented by CAA, the firm that represents six Knicks (including Carmelo Anthony and coach Mike Woodson). So that’s a leg up. Actually with the Knicks having CAA involved is like giving Usain Bolt a 10-yard head start.
Before you ask Knicks fans, yes there are already 15 guys on your roster, which is the max. But Chris Smith (brother of J.R. Smith) has a partially guaranteed contract, which means he can be cut during camp. Zwerling said expect that to happen the Knicks to try and sign the Smith to a D-League contract.
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 0
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36