Paul Pierce says he’ll consider playing beyond 2014, and maybe not in Boston

Aug 4, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT

Boston Celtics' Pierce is defended by Miami Heat's Wade and James in Eastern Conference Finals NBA basketball playoff series in Miami Reuters

Paul Pierce was drafted a Celtic. He has been a Celtic in good times and bad. From Ricky Davis to Antoine Walker, to Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, Pierce has been a Boston Celtic and has defined the franchise since the turn of the century.

But the end is in sight for Pierce, and he’s accomplished as much as he needs to to cement his legacy in Boston. He’ll never be Bird, but he’s going to be up there with McHale, Parrish, Havlicek. Pierce has talked in the past about playing overseas when he retires. But before that happens, he’s talking about playing more than two more seasons, and then… seeing what his offers are to play elsewhere. From the Boston Globe:

About his contract, which has a team option for 2013-14: “I think I am going to play this one out. I want to see what it feels like to be a free agent for once in my life. I think I am going to play this one out. A lot can change in two years. My body (may not) be where I want it to be, I could retire, a lot of things could happen. It’s not about the money at this point. I love the game. I made as much money as I possibly can. It’s about winning a championship and if I feel like it’s the right thing to do, maybe so (come back) but I really don’t know the specifics on the KG deal or Jason Terry‘s deal. If i solidify my third year, maybe they opt out, so it’s about keeping your options open.”

via Pierce continues talking about contract, Celtics future -Celtics blog – Boston Globe basketball news.

Seeing Pierce in anything but green would be bizarre, but if the Celtics finally, finally actually commit to a youth movement, it may be for the best to move on. He could finish out in California where he’s from and give people seizures by playing in Lakers gold. He could head to another team bent on playing veterans. But either way, he’ll get to experience free agency, provided his body can keep up.

But the best odds? Pierce was drafted a Celtic, Pierce was always a Celtic, Pierce retires as a Celtic.

1. dls612 - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:44 AM

As a Heat fan I must say I rather see him retire a Celtic! The only guy on the Celtics I fear! Keep on that green cause every hero needs a villain. Heat vs Celtics 2013 Eastern Conference Finals?

• proballerslounge - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Its possible they could meet. I think so.

2. lakerluver - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:58 AM

You can always go back home, see you in the PURPLE AND GOLD in 2 years!!

3. isujames - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:05 AM

@ ^ Lakers, “The Retirement Home for Stars Well Past Their Prime.”

• giselleisasucubus - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:33 AM

Yeah, their 16 titles shows that they don’t get it. Get a clue LSUJames…btw- I’m a a Celtics fan, but some of us get it. The Lakers are a great franchise.

• deeballer - Aug 5, 2012 at 7:58 AM

We’ll see how they will be in the future with the younger Buss as new management.

4. giselleisasucubus - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:31 AM

“but if the Celtics finally, finally actually commit to a youth movement, it may be for the best to move on.”
    Really? Still talking nonsense about this team being old? So if a team has a core, and it’s best player is 27 and clearly he runs the show, and they have a center that is 36, they are old? Lets go over this…again….Avery Bradley. Rajon Rondo. Jeff Green. Jared Sullinger, Brandon Bass, Courtney Lee. 6 players who will be either starters or big minutes players. They are all under 27. Wilcox(not even 30), Terry, KG, Pierce, yes, all are aging, but are there any other contenders besides Oklahoma who doesn’t have a few 30-somethings in their rotation? Your argument for them being old is wrong, I don’t care what you think of this “opinion”, because it isn’t an opinion, it is fact. Great teams have a good mix of young and old, and I am telling you this right now, this Celtics team is going to be great and barring MAJOR injury(Rondo & they need Bradley back healthy) they will be in the final 4 teams standing yet again.

5. lakerluver - Aug 4, 2012 at 11:54 AM

@isujames, you mean more like where the elite of the elite desire to play. I just love the LAKER haters. Clowns like you only make it sweeter when they win. Btw, D12 is still pretty young, can’t wait to read your comments WHEN the deal goes down!!

• saint1997 - Aug 4, 2012 at 6:28 PM

We’re not laker haters, we are you haters. By the way you know when someone is intelligent and good with their words when the only way they can get their point across IS WITH CAPITAL LETTERS.

6. giselleisasucubus - Aug 4, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Yeah Lakerluver, it is inevitable that Dwight ends up there. If I’m the Lakers, I try to find a way to keep Gasol w/Howard, Kobe and Nash because that is a scary group. I think Bynum is a beast and honestly, he IS a better offensive center than Howard, but his attitude sucks and he will get hurt again. The one thing that I do think about a lot though- Bynum, even with his injuries, is going to get better because he isn’t a leaper and his game doesn’t rely on pure athleticism. Howard, as he ages, will not be the same athlete, and I question if his game on the floor is strong enough to keep him in the elite. For the next 3 years, the Lakers will be better off with Howard and Gasol, if they can pull it off, but I can’t wait to sit back in 10 years and compare Howard and Bynum, because it is going to be closer than some believe. BTW- see you back in the finals next year. BOS/LAL, lets do it again…

7. missmd07 - Aug 4, 2012 at 1:37 PM

A lot can happen in 2 yrs but right now i think Pierce retires a Celtic. I think if anything, he wants to see what his market value is; what other gms think of his skills or whatever is left in 2 years; if he’s wanted outside of Boston. I don’t think he’ll leave KG on an island since KG just signed on for 3 years. Of course KG’s body may not allow him to play out that 3 year contract so that could impact certain things. I’ve enjoyed watching him. He was a part of my childhood. My sister and i grew up loving Pierce. He is very underrated. Whatever he decides to i’m so glad that he overcame that stabbing incident, stuck around during the bad times and was fortunate to raise a banner. So happy for him. He stuck on a bad team for 9 years of his prime. They never put enough talent around him and his prime went unnoticed. Whatever he decides, his number will be hung in the rafters. Love him.

• sellahh - Aug 4, 2012 at 4:30 PM

Well, it seems to me like he just has a lot of heart and Im saying this when my colors ale Purple and Gold.

8. misterdreamer119 - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:01 PM

Danny Ainge trade Pierce to the Bulls for Gibson. Im joking, Pierce needs to come in excellent shape like Kobe does. Worry about this year only.

9. doctorfootball - Aug 5, 2012 at 6:50 AM

Let him go to the Lakers and continue his flopping out west.

10. j0esixpack - Aug 5, 2012 at 4:16 PM

Dude has earned the right to play wherever he wants.

He might need to factor that into his post-NBA marketability in New England, but that’s his call.

11. bozosforall - Aug 5, 2012 at 10:00 PM

Yet another rat soon to desert the sinking Boston ship.

12. paulhargis53 - Aug 6, 2012 at 7:37 PM

says the guy whose team is 1-8 in the last 2 series they have played, that hadn’t gotten out of the 2nd round.

You certainly are a Bozo.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches