Aug 4, 2012, 9:00 AM EST
Paul Pierce was drafted a Celtic. He has been a Celtic in good times and bad. From Ricky Davis to Antoine Walker, to Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, Pierce has been a Boston Celtic and has defined the franchise since the turn of the century.
But the end is in sight for Pierce, and he’s accomplished as much as he needs to to cement his legacy in Boston. He’ll never be Bird, but he’s going to be up there with McHale, Parrish, Havlicek. Pierce has talked in the past about playing overseas when he retires. But before that happens, he’s talking about playing more than two more seasons, and then… seeing what his offers are to play elsewhere. From the Boston Globe:
About his contract, which has a team option for 2013-14: ”I think I am going to play this one out. I want to see what it feels like to be a free agent for once in my life. I think I am going to play this one out. A lot can change in two years. My body (may not) be where I want it to be, I could retire, a lot of things could happen. It’s not about the money at this point. I love the game. I made as much money as I possibly can. It’s about winning a championship and if I feel like it’s the right thing to do, maybe so (come back) but I really don’t know the specifics on the KG deal or Jason Terry‘s deal. If i solidify my third year, maybe they opt out, so it’s about keeping your options open.”
Seeing Pierce in anything but green would be bizarre, but if the Celtics finally, finally actually commit to a youth movement, it may be for the best to move on. He could finish out in California where he’s from and give people seizures by playing in Lakers gold. He could head to another team bent on playing veterans. But either way, he’ll get to experience free agency, provided his body can keep up.
But the best odds? Pierce was drafted a Celtic, Pierce was always a Celtic, Pierce retires as a Celtic.
- Knicks and Nets might not remain so mockable for long, so enjoy it while you can 8
- Derrick Rose to those doubting his return: “You can be a fool if you want to” 7
- You knew this was coming: Carmelo Anthony denies report he has decided to leave Knicks 23
- Kevin Hart to write, star in movie with LeBron James 14
- The Extra Pass: A Google goggle revolution dream, plus Wednesday’s recaps 3
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Report: Dion Waiters accused Kyrie Irving, Tristan Thompson of playing “buddy ball.” (53)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (41)
- With game in balance, Jason Kidd tells player to “hit me,” spills drink, gets psuedo timeout to draw up play (40)