Aug 4, 2012, 9:00 AM EDT
Paul Pierce was drafted a Celtic. He has been a Celtic in good times and bad. From Ricky Davis to Antoine Walker, to Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo, Pierce has been a Boston Celtic and has defined the franchise since the turn of the century.
But the end is in sight for Pierce, and he’s accomplished as much as he needs to to cement his legacy in Boston. He’ll never be Bird, but he’s going to be up there with McHale, Parrish, Havlicek. Pierce has talked in the past about playing overseas when he retires. But before that happens, he’s talking about playing more than two more seasons, and then… seeing what his offers are to play elsewhere. From the Boston Globe:
About his contract, which has a team option for 2013-14: “I think I am going to play this one out. I want to see what it feels like to be a free agent for once in my life. I think I am going to play this one out. A lot can change in two years. My body (may not) be where I want it to be, I could retire, a lot of things could happen. It’s not about the money at this point. I love the game. I made as much money as I possibly can. It’s about winning a championship and if I feel like it’s the right thing to do, maybe so (come back) but I really don’t know the specifics on the KG deal or Jason Terry‘s deal. If i solidify my third year, maybe they opt out, so it’s about keeping your options open.”
Seeing Pierce in anything but green would be bizarre, but if the Celtics finally, finally actually commit to a youth movement, it may be for the best to move on. He could finish out in California where he’s from and give people seizures by playing in Lakers gold. He could head to another team bent on playing veterans. But either way, he’ll get to experience free agency, provided his body can keep up.
But the best odds? Pierce was drafted a Celtic, Pierce was always a Celtic, Pierce retires as a Celtic.
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 6
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 24
- Five favorites to win NBA 2014-15 MVP 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: San Antonio Spurs 4
- NBA’s 44-minute game clocks in at under 2 hours, players barely notice (VIDEO) 1
- Nets coach Hollins on 44-minute game: ‘The change will be for the guys who don’t start’ 10
- Spurs’ Gregg Popovich fires back at Suns owner’s apology: ‘I’m just surprised he didn’t do it in a chicken suit’ 7
- Blake Griffin goes after Trevor Booker following flagrant foul, says he may retaliate in the future (VIDEO) 31