Aug 3, 2012, 1:09 PM EST
“I want to congratulate the guys on their continued dominance in London. This is starting to look a lot like our 1992 Dream Team. I look forward to watching them continue to drive for that gold medal and bring it home for the USA.”
“That’s probably how many points they’d beat the ’92 team by … if we played today.”
That was the former Dream Teamers’ reactions to the USA’s 83 point thrashing of Nigeria on Thursday, via Marc Stein of ESPN. I’m personally pretty weary of comparing teams across generations, especially in this case, but I think it’s becoming clear that this Team USA could end up in the top 3 all time (you have to include the 1960 team that had Jerry West and Oscar Robertson in these conversations).
Of course, one stumble and this 2012 team falls way down to the other end of the list.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 6
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11