Aug 3, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
That doesn’t mean they are really happy about it. As example A, I bring you what Paul Pierce told Celtics.com when asked if he had talked to Allen since he signed with the Heat (transcribed by CSNNE.com).
“Couple texts. You know, I’m a little bitter that he went to Miami, but he’s still a brother of mine.”
If you were looking for more detail…
“It’s going to be a little weird, you know, but Ray made the best decision for him,” Pierce said. “And that’s what pretty much it’s all about. You get in these situations, you get in free agency, you make a decision what’s best for you and your family. Ray will always be a brother for me. If it wasn’t for him I probably wouldn’t be wearing a championship ring. So the things he was able to do for this organization will never be forgotten.”
Allen was expected to move on, and while coach Doc Rivers tried to take the blame the fact is Allen didn’t like coming off the bench behind Avery Bradley and he didn’t like how often Rajon Rondo was getting him the ball. He wanted a change, he wanted to be wanted rather than being shopped at the deadline.
It’s just that he found that in Miami that galls the Celtics faithful.
But what Rivers did turning that team over to Rondo was what was best for the Celtics; Rondo is the playmaker. Starting Bradley was best for the team. The moves Boston made this summer — bringing in Jason Terry for one — makes Boston better. Rivers and the Celtics didn’t do anything wrong, they were just moving past Allen.
Except now he still stands in their way. And the Celtics will get to see him on opening night.
By the way, the thing Celtics fans should take away most from the Celtics.com interview is Pierce saying his knee is 90 percent right now.
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 2
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11