Aug 3, 2012, 3:26 PM EST
That doesn’t mean they are really happy about it. As example A, I bring you what Paul Pierce told Celtics.com when asked if he had talked to Allen since he signed with the Heat (transcribed by CSNNE.com).
“Couple texts. You know, I’m a little bitter that he went to Miami, but he’s still a brother of mine.”
If you were looking for more detail…
“It’s going to be a little weird, you know, but Ray made the best decision for him,” Pierce said. “And that’s what pretty much it’s all about. You get in these situations, you get in free agency, you make a decision what’s best for you and your family. Ray will always be a brother for me. If it wasn’t for him I probably wouldn’t be wearing a championship ring. So the things he was able to do for this organization will never be forgotten.”
Allen was expected to move on, and while coach Doc Rivers tried to take the blame the fact is Allen didn’t like coming off the bench behind Avery Bradley and he didn’t like how often Rajon Rondo was getting him the ball. He wanted a change, he wanted to be wanted rather than being shopped at the deadline.
It’s just that he found that in Miami that galls the Celtics faithful.
But what Rivers did turning that team over to Rondo was what was best for the Celtics; Rondo is the playmaker. Starting Bradley was best for the team. The moves Boston made this summer — bringing in Jason Terry for one — makes Boston better. Rivers and the Celtics didn’t do anything wrong, they were just moving past Allen.
Except now he still stands in their way. And the Celtics will get to see him on opening night.
By the way, the thing Celtics fans should take away most from the Celtics.com interview is Pierce saying his knee is 90 percent right now.
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 0
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 10
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 9
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 50
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 7