Friday Night Video: Man, Oscar Robertson was something special

Aug 3, 2012, 10:00 PM EDT

All the talk of the 2012 Team USA basketball squad and how it compares to the Dream Team had me thinking back today to the 1960 Olympic team — a Hall of Fame team with Jerry West and Oscar Robertson among others.

Sometimes, we forget just how good Robinson was — career 25 points per game on 48.5 percent shooting, plus 9.5 assists and 7.5 rebounds per game. In 1962 he AVERAGED a triple double (30.8 points, 12.5 rebounds and 11.4 assists per game). He was a 12-time NBA All-Star, NBA champion, NBA MVP, gold medalist and the best wing player of his era.

So, enjoy some highlights to start your weekend off right. And remember LeBron James is more Oscar than Jordan in game.

1. stayhigh_247 - Aug 4, 2012 at 12:41 AM

when I was a kid, the Big O’s jersey was the only one I ever wanted to wear, ok and Magics too. thanks for posting this, the old schoolers often get forgotten about…

2. itsonlyaspeedbump - Aug 4, 2012 at 10:01 AM

not flashy like Magic, not athletic and explosive like Jordan, just effective.

He played about 20 years to early, and ran into the Celtics of the 60’s. Otherwise, he’d widely be considered Jordan’s only rival. The comparison with LBJ is apt.

3. dysraw1 - Aug 4, 2012 at 4:46 PM

the big O was 1 of the first 1 of a kind players fundamentally sound could score on anybody. an a triple double threat every night

4. philtration - Aug 4, 2012 at 9:20 PM

It is a shame that the younger NBA fans know little or nothing about Oscar Robertson.
    He is without a doubt one of the 10 greatest players of all time and yes, he would still be in today’s NBA.

5. badintent - Aug 5, 2012 at 5:31 AM

His college coach at U of Cincinnati was Ed Drucker, and he was my college coach at another school He also coached the Big O for The Royals for 2 years, then return to the college game. He told me I would never make him forget Oscar but I told him I would get an Oscar for my acting. Ed’s children went to school with me and they were great people. I featured him on a cable TV show and did a interview with him for all of Orlando.Great man. We will miss him.

6. jerjets11 - Aug 10, 2012 at 5:34 PM

Robertson was a truly great player, the second-best on that Olympic team after Jerry Lucas. Lucas had a great performance during those Games.

As a pro player, he averaged a triple-double over the first five seasons of his NBA career.
    His assists during those years were under-counted, as they were for everybody because of rules then. By today’s rules, he would have averaged 14-17 per game in the uptempo 1960’s NBA.
    People today might compare him to Michael Jordan or LeBron James, but I think he was better than both. He was a great rebounder as a guard, scored 30 points per game without a three-line, became a 90% free thrower, and hit 50% of his shots while on the often .500 Cincinnati Royals, a NBA team which often had few other weapons to spread defenses with.
    Plus, he was the Player’s Union President. All together, it’s easy to see Robertson was a rare legend.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches