Aug 2, 2012, 10:20 AM EDT
Randy Wittman earned the job as Wizards head coach. He took over for Flip Saunders in the middle of last season and the Wizards improved under him. Improved enough that the Wizards ownership took the interim tag off and kept him.
So what are his plans for next season in Washington?
Make the playoffs. That’s what he told Michael Lee of the Washington Post.
“We want to take the next step and what we kind of did as the year progressed and Nene coming over here at the trade deadline and our improvement from the defensive standpoint. That’s got to be a main focus for us to get better and better defensively….
“You always want to believe in the playoffs. I think, you’re always striving for that. We’ve got to go out and we’ve got a tough start to the schedule and that’s going to be one of my main emphases with our guys is going into camp and understanding that, when we come out, we’re going to go on the road a lot and we’ve got to be ready for that. We’ve got to be ready for a good start and keep that momentum that we have.”
Washington has upgraded its roster and the playoffs are a possibility.
But it really doesn’t come down to Wittman. It comes down to John Wall. He has talked about taking the next step forward, about living up to his elite point guard potential. This is the year he has to do it. If he does, the Wizards are a playoff team. If not, they are not.
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 84
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 27
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2
- Derrick Rose expects to be cleared for contact soon, says he feels no pain in right knee 9
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: Warriors win Pacific Division, may win much more 20