Report: Lakers speaking to Leandro Barbosa

Aug 2, 2012, 12:47 PM EDT

Leandro Barbosa, Indiana Pacers Getty Images

The Lakers will be starting Steve Nash at point next year, with Steve Blake as his backup.

So how about a little change of pace? Marc Stein of ESPN tweeted out this rumor from London.

Hearing out of Brazil camp that they believe Lakers have interest in free-agent Leandro Barbosa… Question is how much Lakers, w/only 13 contracts but WELL into tax territory, have to spend. Brazil also worried Barbosa might be pressing

Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak has said that he is only signing players for the veteran minimum the rest of the way out. He’s certainly not going to break that plan for Barbosa. This is the time of year when a lot of players keep hoping for a bigger payday before settling for the minimum, which may be the case here.

Barbosa averaged 8.9 points per game and shot 42 percent from three last season for Indiana, and he played about 20 minutes a game in the playoffs (although his shooting numbers fell well off).

He’d make a nice change-of-pace point for the Lakers off the bench. But already over the tax line, the Lakers are not going to pay a lot to get him.

1. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Not a bad option if he’s willing to take a minimum contract. Mitch is adding to the team without hurting the chance to make THE DEAL.

2. thevza - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:37 PM

Welcome to Los Angeles, Leandro. Steve Nash has an extra bedroom in case you need somewhere to crash.

3. heathater4lifeson - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:44 PM

Lakers looking to become the oldest team in the league

• lew24 - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Looking? They already are! lol

• nes24c395 - Aug 2, 2012 at 3:00 PM

dummy u need a good bench & some veterans to win a championship. Some dont know basketball.

4. eureca323 - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Barbosa is 29 years old. Not exactly old. Funny thing is that would be their young signing of the off season lol.

5. paulhargis53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:54 PM

Not much upside to this guy.
    It’s desperation time to try and fill out the Laker bench…..

Laker, you dummy, you think a soon to be 30 year old garbage time player is an attractive trade chip?

Looks like you picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

• mrpostman985 - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

I recall him having some big moments for Indiana in the playoffs and he can shoot the ball pretty well and is a better defender than blake ! We not looking for him to take over he never been that guy jus want him to contribute !!

6. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:27 PM

@phargis53, dude, reading is fundemental! Let me break it down so that even a blockhead such as yourself can understand. Barbosa won’t be used as a trade chip, moron. He would simply add depth to the bench. The moves Mitch makes this offseason will not interfere with the LAKERS possibly trading for D12. Do you understand now, meathead?!!

7. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Yeah, the LAKERS will be an “experienced” team next season. But according to the oddsmakers in Vegas they also are the favorites to meet the “Heatles” in the Finals, chumps!!

8. cosanostra71 - Aug 2, 2012 at 4:38 PM

might be cool

9. isujames - Aug 2, 2012 at 5:11 PM

According to the reporters of this site the Lakers seem to want every free agent that becomes available.This will all be for nought because they will still finish second or more likely third in the west.

• pop562 - Aug 2, 2012 at 5:28 PM

The lakers ate looking for a shooting guard to back up Kobe in the second unit. I didn’t know it was illegal or taboo to sign free agents that wants to play basketball. I mean the heats got ray Allen and Lewis and celtics got Jason terry and Courtney lee…why can’t the lakers sign players? Don’t be so bitter when the lakers make a strong run for the finals. It wasn’t too long ago that they made it to the finals 3 consecutive years and won back to back titles.

10. isujames - Aug 2, 2012 at 5:19 PM

Keep dreaming KUPCAKE and laker fanatics becuse Barbosa definately won’t sign with this old as $hit squad for the veterans minimum.We all know he is worth more than that and more importantly he knows he is.Im also sure hed like a ring but thats not happening in LA for some time.

11. paulhargis53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 5:21 PM

laker, once again, full of crap.

Lakers odds are behind OKC and San Antonio. They have the FOURTH best odds. odds mean nothing, its for turds like you to point at and go see, my team is good. odds are to induce betting on BOTH sides.

You are such an over the top fanboy, EVERY signing is great and the best ever, its sad and pathetic. Barbarosa adds to an already mediocre bench.

Your ramblings are so incoherent, simtimes its difficult to even divine what it is you’re trying to say.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:26 PM

I think the Lakers have a stronger squad than San Antonio. The Spurs will still struggle with the Lakers size. We’ll see once the games start though.

• connercreech - Aug 5, 2012 at 12:56 PM

So you’re telling me the team who should have been up 3-2 on the thunder and have only gotten better are now just on the downturn? Their starting five is the most formidable in the league and their bench can at least keep up now

12. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:01 PM

@ph53, the LAKERS are 7-1, the Heat and Thunder are 5-2. The Spurs are 4th, dunce. Odds or no odds, the LAKERS have an excellent chance to win the title as presently constructed. With D12 they become overwhelming favorites. My question to you is, what are the odds the Celtics win the title?! Not very good.Their last best chance was last season and they choked it away. After Pierce and KG fade away into the sunset the C’s will return the irrelevancy they enjoyed from the late 80’s until 2008.

• pop562 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:21 PM

i actually think the celtics have a nice squad to compete and defeat the heats…if all their players stay healthy during the playoffs they will give the heats a hard time. Championships aren’t guaranteed anymore…it all boils down to players staying healthy and role players stepping up big for their starters.

13. paulhargis53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:02 PM

I’m not. its just these signings aren’t the make or break signings like the others were, yet they are trumpeted as the missing piece to get them over the hump.

Anyone signed now, was unsigned for,a reason, they aren’t all that good.
    He’s no better than Blake. its a waste.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:52 PM

HE’S NO BETTER THEN BLAKE!!?? You clown! HAAAAAhahaha. You have ZERO credibility now, if you had any to begin with! Go run along and play with the other kids on the block and stop using daddy’s laptop to troll on Laker posts.

14. omniusprime - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

The Lakers need to jettison Steve Flake fast and pick up someone good like Leandro Barbosa. The Lakers also need to throw out McRoberts and Murphy, two total deadbeats who disgraced the Laker bench last season. To heck with the tax line, time for the Buss’s to ante up for another championship, they’ll get it all back on the back end when they sell.

• pop562 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:23 PM

murphy is not with the lakers, he’s a free agent.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:55 PM

Amen brother ‘prime!!!(Murph is a FA though, he’s not coming back.)

15. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:05 PM

And if you could read you would know that I said this is “not a bad deal if he takes the minimum”. That’s hardly a ringing endorsement!! Barbosa is the type of player who could help a title contender get over the hump. Look at what Battier did for the Heat last season, clown boy.

16. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:19 PM

LAKER haters (ph53, isujames, shockexchange, etc.) are shaking in their go-go boots over the possibility of the LAKERS hanging banner no.17!! That’s why you losers criticize every move they make. Barbosa, Nash, and Jamison are all quality vets who are exactly what the LAKERS were missing last year. With Nash I highly doubt if the Thunder would’ve beaten the LAKERS. Even at 38, Nash is still a top 7-8 pg in the NBA. The LAKERS don’t need a young Magic Johnson to win a title. They only need a good pg. Nash is better than good. And, please stop talking about the Spurs for goodness sakes, paulhargis53, their title window closed 5 years ago!!!

17. paulhargis53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 6:45 PM

Your comment on the Spurs holds true for the Lakers also, you’re just too ignorant to realize it.

An old Nash, is not getting you a title, a past his prime, no upside Barbarosa, is not getting you “over the hump”

I’m not quaking in any boots, I’m not worried at all. One, they aren’t close to winning and two, I don’t hate the players or the team. I dislike the ignorant over the top fans.
    4th/5th seed. lucky to make the 2nd round.
    You heard it here 1st.

• monoxidechild011 - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:38 PM

ignorant and over the top??? ur a boston fan…you think ur teams walk on water…

ggawddamnit u trolls get on my nerves …look, if nash went to the celtics, honestly how would u respond??? i doubt it would be with all this hate….and barbosa would be an upgrade over blake, so shut up…y r you even reading laker articles anyway? phuck off….

• pop562 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:32 PM

lol…4th or 5th seed really and lucky to make it to the 2nd round interesting prediction. With a new coach mike brown, last place in bench points, and 15th rank defense…the lakers still got the 3rd seed and they weren’t even playing their best games against sub .500 teams. Think about it 3rd in the WEST…and the WEST teams are by far more powerful than the teams in the easy East. Lakers are in a sense of urgency and they are making the signing and trades to get the players in order to contend for a title shot. The Celtics did the same thing by adding players and the Heats also added players. The only team that didn’t really need to add players and still can compete with the best of them were the Spurs and OKC. There is nothing wrong with continuously improving a franchise, all in all…basketball is a business and if you don’t improve your business, you fail in business.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 3, 2012 at 12:08 AM

pop562, don’t try to talk logic to that half-wit. I’m not even sure if he even watches basketball. He just gets off on trying to rile up Laker fans for whatever reason. He lacks basketball intellegence and should just be ignored from here on out.

• cosanostra71 - Aug 2, 2012 at 11:28 PM

I just don’t see the Lakers getting worse after addressing their two biggest weaknesses last year (PG and bench). They may or may not be better, but it would be a surprise if they were wrose.

• loungefly74 - Aug 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM

we will see paulhargis…we will see who will be eating crow at the end of the season. i think the Lakers have a decent shot. there are always a handful of teams capable of winning it any year…the lakers are one of them.

oh…paul, you are a Boston fan, eh? ahhh…well, that explains a lot. i bet that 2010 season is still stingin’ ya, huh?

18. lakerluver - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:56 PM

MAN, YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY CLUELESS!!! You will eat your words, dude.

19. tsi431 - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:05 PM

All the Lakers needed last year was a decent bench to contend with anyone in the league. Now with Nash, not only can they contend, but with some veteran depth on the bench, can dominate the entire game.
    This is why they are signing veterans players at the minimum. If they wanted to get young talent they would be on the bench behind our starters.

• pop562 - Aug 3, 2012 at 1:07 AM

Well said, you hit the nail on the coffin. Lakers are looking for vets who can play on the bench not starters. In addition we don’t have the cap space and money to sign the young hot free agents. Once Kobe retires in a few years, that’s when the lakers will start to blow the team up and rebuild. The luxury tax is going to jump in 2014 so the Lakers are in win now mode.

20. paulhargis53 - Aug 3, 2012 at 10:46 AM

tsi: Outside of Jamison, they have signed
    NOBODY for the bench. The others have yet to sign! Bench is STILL horrible.

malt: you telling me I have no credibility is laughable. you( and laker) are the biggest know nothing on this site. Get off Daddies laptop? Really?! Come on Man!
    Also, when speaking of intelligence, try spelling it right…..just a thought.

laker: Relying on odds from June are we?
    They still have the Bulls right up there for sh**s sake!
    If you are pointing to the odds, you’re a halfwit. I’ve explained to you enough what they are for and you refuse to “get it.”
    I thought I made it clear I’m a Garnett fan, nit a Celtics fan. When he retires, I’m no longer a Celtics fan, I don’t care if they suck, get it?

I’ve never seen a bigger set of tools outside of a garage in my life.

I cannot wait til next season when the Lakers come up waaay shirt, AGAIN.

I’ll be here to remind you what I said and the truths that I spoke- count on it.

• 00maltliquor - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:19 PM

paulhargis53
      “I cannot wait til next season when the Lakers come up waaay shirt (sic), AGAIN.”

paul you DUNCE! You get on me for something I spelled incorrectly and you, in the same post mind you, do the SAME thing! LOL! I can grill you like steak over and over again but I really don’t have to, you do it to yourself.

It’s spelled short, a simple 5 letter/ 1 syllable word. Try spelling it right…..just a thought.

And ME, a “know nothing”!?? LOL! Yeah, whatever you say to make you feel secure about yourself buddy! Well then pauly, guess it takes one to know one!

(And to all the spelling police out there: It should not be pointed out when one of us spells something wrong, we do not get paid handsomely by NBC to be professionals and write stuff for the masses, If any spelling error should be pointed out, it should be to the paid author of the post who does it over and over and over again *cough -Kurt- cough* or the d-bag that tries to burn you on your mistakes and make the same mistake in the same post *cough -paulhargis- cough*. Other then that, just leave it alone guys.)

21. purplerain53 - Aug 3, 2012 at 11:56 AM

Personaly,I believe,Leandro is the best choice for us at this moment,but,I doubt the guy will accept the veteran minimum.He is .042 % 3 point shooter, who can easly score in double digits every single night.
    Lets not ignore the fact, that he is Brazilian.What that means is, he will play for bigger paycheck, before returning to his poor country.I am really surprised that he was not taken yet.
    If M.Kupchak is planing on building a contender team, he should offer Barbosa our mini midlevel.Once again: ANY TRADE EXCEPTION (veteran or midlevel) WILL NOT COUNT AGAINST THE TEAM SALARY AND THE LUXURY TAX. NBA commissioner has given this trade exceptions for a teams just like the Lakers, over the threshold.We have to use it for L.Barbosa, because the guy can perfectly back-up St.Nash and K.Bryant.To reduce some salary from the book, he should amnesty M W P and make a trades.If we start the new season with this curent roster ( with Blake and McRoberts ) there won’t be any chace for us to reach the finals of the West.That is for sure. Our second unit is still very weak and I don’t see any efforts of upgrading from Lakers management.

• aditya34 - Aug 6, 2012 at 12:58 AM

I disagree with your the entire note. Usa basketballfirst exibitions game was on thursday. I watched that. The olympics begins soon. I am watching that. . Looking forward to school and the Nba season and maybe nba pre season. I watch every Lakers game.maybe nfl season I look forward too. Lakers better play Championship basketball the coming season and playoffs or I will get very very very very very very very disapponted. i cheer loudly and celebrate when they win and play Championship basketball.. The espys was on wednesday I am watching that. Look forward to seeing you soon. On Thusday my dad ordered the Steve Nashes jersey. I am so so excited. I am so so so so so Steve Nash goes to the lakers. I hope lakers make more moves to improve the team. The Usa team play 3 more games before the olympics. I am watching that and the olympics. The lakers summer league began on friday. i have been watching that and i am still going to watch that. Only rookies and sophmores play in the lakers summer league.. From now on in Nba i am supporting one in Nba basketball and it the lakers. The olympics is live online and basketball is live online and tv

in olympics also tennis is live online and tv and maybe some other sports.

I get so disappointed when us basketball looses and loosing but not extremely disappointed when i get with the lakers. I cheer loudly when my sports teams win or winning or my player win or winning. I am a die hard lakers fan.
      I watch every usa basketball game and about lakers it tell you in my long story and the rest.

I watch some most or all of the olympics and i hope you read all of my messages..

22. paulhargis53 - Aug 3, 2012 at 3:19 PM

Umm no, 2010 doesn’t sting. 09? Nope that doesn’t sting either.

That was 2 and 3 years ago. It’s irrelevant.
    I’m a Celts fan only because of Garnett. Can’t you read? Past history of these 2 teams is meaningless to me.

Although, the team I’m rooting for now isn’t 1-8 in their last two playoff series.

Miles signed with the Cavs, Barborosa will go elsewhere, your bench is still horrid= 2nd round exit.

23. lakerfansince83 - Aug 3, 2012 at 5:57 PM

I think under the Lakers system this would make a great signing.

24. lakerfansince83 - Aug 3, 2012 at 6:03 PM

I got a question to all the Laker Haters.

1.) Why did David Stern Step in with his dumb as to stop the trade when Lakers would’ve had CP3?
    2.) Then everyone including myself counted them out of the playoffs?
    3.) How many times have Lakers pulled rabbits out the ass to dazzle the fans?
    In closing:
    They going to do it all again. And all you Lakers Haters can’t do anything but shut the hell up!

25. paulhargis53 - Aug 8, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Conner: shoulda, woulda, coulda.
    They got older, that won’t help against the younger, better, Thunder, or the up and coming Clippers. Adding an ancient Jamison, does not a better bench make.

They are done in the title picture for the foreseeable future.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches