Aug 2, 2012, 7:40 AM EST
One of the questions around the league right now is: “What exactly is Orlando trying to do?”
As they wait out the Dwight Howard trade situation, others wonder whether they want someone like Andrew Bynum to build around, do they just want to dump bad contracts, or would they rather get some young players and picks to rebuild. Nobody knows quite what they want, other than more than they are being offered.
But take a step back and you can see what the new Orlando blueprint is — it’s the same one used in San Antonio. And after that in Oklahoma City. Which explains their hires this summer, reports the Orlando Sentinel.
On June 20, the Magic hired Rob Hennigan as their new general manager. Hennigan started his post-college career as a Spurs intern in 2004 and spent a total of four seasons with the organization, ending his tenure in 2007-08 as the team’s director of basketball operations. From there, Hennigan spent four seasons with the Oklahoma City Thunder, whose basketball-operations department is headed by another former Spurs executive, Sam Presti.
On Saturday, the Magic hired Jacque Vaughn as their new coach. Vaughn spent the last three seasons of his playing career in San Antonio and spent the last two seasons as an assistant coach, apprenticing under Gregg Popovich.
That’s a great model to follow.
Both of those franchises have built through smart drafting, and both got a healthy dose of luck (being high in the draft the years they could get Tim Duncan or Kevin Durant). It makes you think that the Hennigan’s long-term plan is to get draft picks and young players. To rebuild following the Spurs model.
But at the heart of both plans is also drafting or bringing in the “right” people, meaning players willing to make sacrifices for the big picture. Players who can put their ego aside. Players who want to be there.
So, not Dwight Howard. But that doesn’t mean they are going to give Howard away. Not until they get what they want. So we wait.
- Report: Timberwolves’ Ricky Rubio set to return Monday vs. Dallas 4
- Nike unveils latest signature shoe for Kobe Bryant, the Kobe X (PHOTOS) 11
- Report: Nuggets trying to trade for Brook Lopez 10
- Last summer Carmelo Anthony, Kobe Bryant talked, decided it wouldn’t work together 26
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 8
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 45
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 11
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 10