Mark Jackson has good players in Golden State now, can he lead them to wins?

Aug 2, 2012, 8:45 AM EST

Mark Jackson Warriors Getty Images

Last season, it wouldn’t have mattered if Golden State brought in John Wooden circa 1968 to coach the team — they didn’t have enough talent on the roster to win a lot of games. And what talent they did have kept getting injured. Mark Jackson kind of had a free pass to learn how to be a head coach on the fly.

This season is going to be different.

After some deadline trades and offseason moves, the Warriors should have a starting lineup of Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson, Richard Jefferson (subject to change), David Lee and Andrew Bogut. Off the bench they bring Jarrett Jack, Harrison Barnes, Brandon Rush (he could start over Jefferson) and Carl Landry.

That’s not a contender, but it’s not bad. So now it is on Jackson to prove he can be an NBA coach and coax some wins out of the roster. Warriors GM Bob Meyers said as much to Matt Steinmentz at CSNBayArea.com.

“Basketball operations, from the ownership group, myself, everybody, worked very hard to give them (the coaching staff) something to work with. I’m not sure we did last year, to be frank. I’m not sure we could expect much from the talent we supplied the coaching staff.

“But I told Mark. I called him after the Landry signing, I said, ‘You’ve got something to work with.’ Which I truly believe. And I don’t think he’s running from that challenge. I think he’s embracing it. I think he’s saying: ‘Yeah, I do.’ It’s up to them now to go forward with this group. I don’t know what your guys’ opinions are but I don’t think it’s unfair to ask to go forward and do well with this group of players.”

Allow me to translate that for you:

“You better win now or you’ll be broadcasting again next season.”

A lot of people questioned the hiring of Jackson, the ABC analyst who had no coaching experience (but did have a long NBA career). Last season wasn’t a fair test of if he could do the job. But this season will be. It’s on him now.

1. knightrider1755 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:30 AM

As a fellow Queens NY native, I am certain Mark will rise to the occasion.

• knightrider1755 - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:32 AM

Mark has an astute mind, has loads up experience on the floor as a floor captain, and is a good teacher. Undoubtedly, he will have a positive impact on this new Warriors squad.

2. LPad - Aug 2, 2012 at 9:56 AM

That looks like a 35 win roster with/without Mark Jackson.

• monoxidechild011 - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:18 AM

hater…

3. dabceb - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:04 AM

They’ll win more games than they’ll lose provided Bogut plays 80% or more of the season.

4. GT - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:25 AM

I really hope GS meets the expectation, if for no other reason than to keep Jackson out of the broadcast booth. Mama there goes that man.

5. livingsacrifice86 - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:12 PM

It’s time to wake the kids up from their sleep, Mark. This team has some potential IF they can stay healthy. I really like Steph Curry and Klay Thompson, being about an hour from WSU. Hopefully they can put it together

6. dysraw1 - Aug 2, 2012 at 12:49 PM

Injuries killed it last season for Mark. so what does GS do they go an get the most injury prone center in the league. hopefully they will be able to work around that this season

• skinsfanwill - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Not to mention, they already have the most injury prone PG of all time (excluding Baron Davis), a starting PF that plays no defense, and Richard Jefferson. But I like the promise in this team and I am certainly rooting for them. Barnes better be the starter and Jarret Jack is better than most people think.

• dysraw1 - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:17 PM

WASH might slide in this year what do you think of that

7. starvingardens - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Isn’t he just keeping the coaching seat warm for Malone, just like how Myers replaced dumb Riley at the GM position? Oh, and how Thompson replaced Monta also!

That seems to be the Warriors M.O. wait until they get things better, and then put in the guy that should really be there.

If they do, I don’t mind one bit. I like Jackson and all, but he’s not a true coach like Malone.

• dysraw1 - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:33 PM

dude you are so wrong this guy was born teaching X & o’s hes smart an really understands the game on any level

8. dunkindan - Aug 2, 2012 at 10:40 PM

Its all dependent upon the health of Curry and Bogut. Lee is a tough player who surprised me last season. Curry is the purest shooter in the league. With Bogut to space the floor they have a real good chance to get the 8th seed.

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches