Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple years now the refrain has been the same from the Atlanta Hawks coaching staff (or staffs, it has been the same for a couple coaches now):
We want Jeff Teague to take charge of this team.
I remember coaches preaching that to him at Summer League a couple years back, Larry Drew was yelling from the bench for him to do it last season. Be a leader.
He’s not going to be the high scorer, not next season with Josh Smith and Al Horford still on the Hawks roster, but he can be the floor general. Which is what current coach Larry Drew wants, but Teague tends to be laid back and let the game come to him.
Now, he is at least saying the right things. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I’ve got to be more of a leader,” Teague said. “I looked to other guys last year like Joe (Johnson) and Marvin (Williams) and those guys. I feel like it’s my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy.”
Words are nice, but we’ll need to see actions before we buy in.
- John Calipari comes to defense of Derrick Rose 0
- Tony Allen fined $5,000 for overacting on Ginobili foul 10
- Preview: Pacers must take back paint to even series with Heat 4
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 5
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 12
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (93)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (81)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (71)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (65)
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights