Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple years now the refrain has been the same from the Atlanta Hawks coaching staff (or staffs, it has been the same for a couple coaches now):
We want Jeff Teague to take charge of this team.
I remember coaches preaching that to him at Summer League a couple years back, Larry Drew was yelling from the bench for him to do it last season. Be a leader.
He’s not going to be the high scorer, not next season with Josh Smith and Al Horford still on the Hawks roster, but he can be the floor general. Which is what current coach Larry Drew wants, but Teague tends to be laid back and let the game come to him.
Now, he is at least saying the right things. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I’ve got to be more of a leader,” Teague said. “I looked to other guys last year like Joe (Johnson) and Marvin (Williams) and those guys. I feel like it’s my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy.”
Words are nice, but we’ll need to see actions before we buy in.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31