Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple years now the refrain has been the same from the Atlanta Hawks coaching staff (or staffs, it has been the same for a couple coaches now):
We want Jeff Teague to take charge of this team.
I remember coaches preaching that to him at Summer League a couple years back, Larry Drew was yelling from the bench for him to do it last season. Be a leader.
He’s not going to be the high scorer, not next season with Josh Smith and Al Horford still on the Hawks roster, but he can be the floor general. Which is what current coach Larry Drew wants, but Teague tends to be laid back and let the game come to him.
Now, he is at least saying the right things. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I’ve got to be more of a leader,” Teague said. “I looked to other guys last year like Joe (Johnson) and Marvin (Williams) and those guys. I feel like it’s my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy.”
Words are nice, but we’ll need to see actions before we buy in.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 0
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 8
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 24
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6