Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple years now the refrain has been the same from the Atlanta Hawks coaching staff (or staffs, it has been the same for a couple coaches now):
We want Jeff Teague to take charge of this team.
I remember coaches preaching that to him at Summer League a couple years back, Larry Drew was yelling from the bench for him to do it last season. Be a leader.
He’s not going to be the high scorer, not next season with Josh Smith and Al Horford still on the Hawks roster, but he can be the floor general. Which is what current coach Larry Drew wants, but Teague tends to be laid back and let the game come to him.
Now, he is at least saying the right things. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I’ve got to be more of a leader,” Teague said. “I looked to other guys last year like Joe (Johnson) and Marvin (Williams) and those guys. I feel like it’s my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy.”
Words are nice, but we’ll need to see actions before we buy in.
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 26
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 33
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 50
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28