Aug 2, 2012, 11:33 AM EDT
For a couple years now the refrain has been the same from the Atlanta Hawks coaching staff (or staffs, it has been the same for a couple coaches now):
We want Jeff Teague to take charge of this team.
I remember coaches preaching that to him at Summer League a couple years back, Larry Drew was yelling from the bench for him to do it last season. Be a leader.
He’s not going to be the high scorer, not next season with Josh Smith and Al Horford still on the Hawks roster, but he can be the floor general. Which is what current coach Larry Drew wants, but Teague tends to be laid back and let the game come to him.
Now, he is at least saying the right things. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:
“I’ve got to be more of a leader,” Teague said. “I looked to other guys last year like Joe (Johnson) and Marvin (Williams) and those guys. I feel like it’s my time to step up and be a leader along with Josh and Al and try to be that third guy.”
Words are nice, but we’ll need to see actions before we buy in.
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 5
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 35
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 9
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37