Magic Johnson still thinks the Lakers need a shooter

Aug 1, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT

Earvin "Magic" Johnson AP

Magic Johnson’s team had a big couple of days — his team is now the Dodgers. He’s the part owner. And he and his partners are now spending like a big market team again — as opposed to an over-leveraged sham of an owner. Not to name any names.

But I digress — the Lakers are still his team, too. Magic is and will always be a Lakers legend, one of the greats ever to play the game.

And he still gets asked about the Lakers. As he was at Dodger Stadium Tuesday night — what does he think of the new Lakers with Steve Nash? Are they contenders? Here is what he told Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.

“I think we still need two to three pieces but if they can add a shooter, as I’ve told [general manager] Mitch [Kupchak], we’ve got a shot.

“One thing Oklahoma City still relies on talent. With Steve Nash, what happened to us in the fourth quarter [in two games during the Lakers second-round playoff series] would not happen to us. Especially that second game and we had a seven-point lead in the last two minutes and we turned it over three times. We didn’t get good shots. All we had to do was score one time and the game was over. I think Steve helps with all of that.”

The Lakers are going to need another floor-spacing shooter, but if they are really going to run a lot of Princeton offense they also need some high IQ players that can read-and-react, not just a young gunner. The Lakers are all in for the next couple of years with Nash and Kobe Bryant. What matters most in getting guys that fit. And Kupchak knows that.

1. skids003 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Sorry, Magic, but with Kobe around, there is not any more shots available to be taken.

2. aboogy123456 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:02 AM

I’m sick of hearing Magic johnson talk about the Lakers. I don’t care if he played for the team, I don’t think he’s a laker fan at all and he wants people to know that his Laker team was better than any of the Kobe laker teams.

Going in to game 7 against the nuggets last year, he had to come out and say “if the lakers lose, then mike brown will be fired”. Really? If he was a laker fan how does the extra pressure on brown help the team? He’s a huge lebron fan more than anything, we need to stop quoting him as if he knows more about the lakers than every one else.

• phaden27 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:20 AM

People said the same think about Spolstra when the Heat we’re down 2-1 to the Pacers. Calm down.

• paleihe - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Aboogy, I agree with you. I can’t stand hearing Magic talk about the Lakers.

• stayhigh_247 - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:36 PM

@paleihe & Aboogy

seriously? You’re sick of hearing from one of the greatest players on earth talk about the team he helped make relevant for 2 decades? do you guys even understand the game? if Mike Brown can’t handle criticism he definitely shouldn’t be the coach, gimme a break! You guys sound ridiculous. @ thanksgiving, we know who sits at the kiddy table dont we fellas…. btw, Browns offensive schemes suck, he’s fortunate to have the pieces the has who know how to win. its boneheaded comments like yours that make people think all Laker fans are dumbasses, which is not the case…..

• paleihe - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:23 PM

Yeah, I’m serious.

Yeah, I’m sick of hearing from Magic talk about the Lakers.

Yeah, I understand the game.

This has nothing to do with how Mike Brown handles criticism.

Michael Jordan is the best basketball player of all time, would you take ownership advice from him? Would you consider his opinion when it’s time for the draft? Not likely. I think Magic is a bad analyst, and in my opinion, he makes horrible recommendations for the Lakers. Just like his, “It’s time to blow it up” comment.

And my statement stands, I’m tired of hearing from Magic about the Lakers.

3. SmackSaw - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:16 AM

Magic, go run the Dodgers. I have yet to hear Bird saying anything about what the Celtics should do. Dr. J doesn’t say anything about what the Sixers do.

4. omniusprime - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:38 AM

While Magic is correct the Lakers could use another good shooter it’s obvious the Lakers ned some youth to balance out the old veterans. The bench needs an overhaul. Flake, McRoberts and Murphy need to be replaced with far more talented players who are hungry for rings.

5. 1972wasalongtimeago - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:16 PM

Jayson Williams out of jail yet? He’s definitely a shooter.

Oh, not THAT kind of shooter? Sorry

6. stayhigh_247 - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:39 PM

Magic is right, you’re not going to beat OKC, let alone Miami without some consistent outside shooting. I think I would listen to a 5 time champ over some kid blogging on a macbook…

• BigBeachBall - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:24 PM

is radmonovic still around?

7. paulhargis53 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:04 PM

stayhigh, how refreshing to hear from an intelligent Lakers fan. Please don’t take any of my forthcoming posts personal.

There are quite a few of your fellow laker fans on here that are quite delusional.

I mean no disrespect to you or ominousprime, you guys know your stuff.

8. mrlitl - Aug 1, 2012 at 7:59 PM

@1972 Hilarious

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches