Aug 1, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
Magic Johnson’s team had a big couple of days — his team is now the Dodgers. He’s the part owner. And he and his partners are now spending like a big market team again — as opposed to an over-leveraged sham of an owner. Not to name any names.
But I digress — the Lakers are still his team, too. Magic is and will always be a Lakers legend, one of the greats ever to play the game.
And he still gets asked about the Lakers. As he was at Dodger Stadium Tuesday night — what does he think of the new Lakers with Steve Nash? Are they contenders? Here is what he told Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“I think we still need two to three pieces but if they can add a shooter, as I’ve told [general manager] Mitch [Kupchak], we’ve got a shot.
“One thing Oklahoma City still relies on talent. With Steve Nash, what happened to us in the fourth quarter [in two games during the Lakers second-round playoff series] would not happen to us. Especially that second game and we had a seven-point lead in the last two minutes and we turned it over three times. We didn’t get good shots. All we had to do was score one time and the game was over. I think Steve helps with all of that.”
The Lakers are going to need another floor-spacing shooter, but if they are really going to run a lot of Princeton offense they also need some high IQ players that can read-and-react, not just a young gunner. The Lakers are all in for the next couple of years with Nash and Kobe Bryant. What matters most in getting guys that fit. And Kupchak knows that.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)