Aug 1, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Magic Johnson’s team had a big couple of days — his team is now the Dodgers. He’s the part owner. And he and his partners are now spending like a big market team again — as opposed to an over-leveraged sham of an owner. Not to name any names.
But I digress — the Lakers are still his team, too. Magic is and will always be a Lakers legend, one of the greats ever to play the game.
And he still gets asked about the Lakers. As he was at Dodger Stadium Tuesday night — what does he think of the new Lakers with Steve Nash? Are they contenders? Here is what he told Ramona Shelburne at ESPNLosAngeles.com.
“I think we still need two to three pieces but if they can add a shooter, as I’ve told [general manager] Mitch [Kupchak], we’ve got a shot.
“One thing Oklahoma City still relies on talent. With Steve Nash, what happened to us in the fourth quarter [in two games during the Lakers second-round playoff series] would not happen to us. Especially that second game and we had a seven-point lead in the last two minutes and we turned it over three times. We didn’t get good shots. All we had to do was score one time and the game was over. I think Steve helps with all of that.”
The Lakers are going to need another floor-spacing shooter, but if they are really going to run a lot of Princeton offense they also need some high IQ players that can read-and-react, not just a young gunner. The Lakers are all in for the next couple of years with Nash and Kobe Bryant. What matters most in getting guys that fit. And Kupchak knows that.
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 13
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 8
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 50