Jul 31, 2012, 10:02 PM EDT
But there were four other games played in London on Tuesday that you didn’t watch. That’s why we’re here for you. Because we care.
Here is a recap of Tuesday’s action.
Spain 82, Australia 70: Spain improves to 2-0 in Group B behind 20 points from Pau Gasol, pretty much as expected. The biggest news out of this game is that Spanish point guard and team captain Juan Carlos Navarro missed the game with a foot injury. He has long battled plantar fasciitis and if it flairs up and he can’t play in the medal rounds that could be a big hinderance for Spain.
Russia 73, China 54: This was not the prettiest game at the start — China opened up shooting 6-of-19, Russia 7-of-18. But the Russians found their range thanks to another big game from Andrei Kirilenko who had 16 points. Russia improves to 2-0 in Group B, tied with Brazil and Spain, and they look not only like a team that will advance to the medal round but a team that will be a tough out. China is now 0-2 despite 16 points and 7 boards from Yi Jianlian.
Brazil 67, Great Britain 62: This one was a whole lot closer than expected, in fact it was tied 27-27 at the half. Luol Deng is trying to do a little bit of everything for the host Brits and he almost had a deceiving triple-double with 12 points, 8 boards and 7 assists — but he shot 1-of-11 at one point and seemed to be holding them back. Then when they needed him late he knocked down a couple hero-ball threes to get it close. However, Brazil held on in part because of the 21 points from power forward Marcus Vieira. Brazil also is 2-0 on group play while the hosts are looking for their first win.
Lithuania 72, Nigeria 53: Both of these teams are now 1-1 in the middle of a crowded Group A (although Nigeria’s win came against lowly Tunisia and it is likely their only one). Lithuania led by double digits most of the way, although Nigeria chipped away at it near the half to make things look closer than they really were. Linus Kleiza had 13 points and six rebounds for Lithuania, while Sarunas Jasikevicius added nine points and nine assists.
Al-Farouq Aminu had 12 points and 11 rebounds, while Ike Diogu finished with 12 points and 10 rebounds for Nigeria, but as a team the Africans shot just 24 percent. And that will not get it done.
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 22
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 21
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Kevin Love seems to be fitting in just fine suddenly 4
- It’s official: Dwight Howard will return to Rockets’ lineup Wednesday 2
- Dwyane Wade on MVP race: “I would say James Harden” 26
- Report: Rockets’ Patrick Beverley has torn ligament in wrist, to decide course in 7-10 days 2