Jul 31, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
But he could end up in the last place Jazz fans want to see their players go — Los Angeles. To the Lakers, specifically.
Unrestricted free agent small forward C.J. Miles has narrowed his options down to a few teams, a league source told The Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday, and the longtime Jazzman is drawing serious interest from the Los Angeles Lakers.
The 6-foot-6, 222-pound Miles could make a decision during the next 2-3 days. If he signs with the Lakers, the source said, it’ll likely be a one- or two-year deal via Los Angeles’ mini mid-level exception. Miles, 25, has already met with Dallas and Cleveland since free agency started July 1.
While the Lakers could use wing depth I wonder if that’s what they are really offering. While they have the tax-payers mid-level available, GM Mitch Kupchak has said he only would be adding players via the veteran’s minimum because the payroll is already plenty high. Now, if I were an agent trying to get other teams to up their offer, this might be the kind of thing that gets put out there. I don’t know the source for this SLT report, just thinking out loud.
Miles averaged 9.8 points per game last season but on 38.1 percent shooting, which was a step back. His production overall suffered overall, which cost him regular minutes with the Jazz and might have teams a little hesitant to pick him up even though he is just 25.
Wherever he lands, look for a decision in the near future.
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 6
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 7
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 38
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 12
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 60
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 73