Jul 31, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
But he could end up in the last place Jazz fans want to see their players go — Los Angeles. To the Lakers, specifically.
Unrestricted free agent small forward C.J. Miles has narrowed his options down to a few teams, a league source told The Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday, and the longtime Jazzman is drawing serious interest from the Los Angeles Lakers.
The 6-foot-6, 222-pound Miles could make a decision during the next 2-3 days. If he signs with the Lakers, the source said, it’ll likely be a one- or two-year deal via Los Angeles’ mini mid-level exception. Miles, 25, has already met with Dallas and Cleveland since free agency started July 1.
While the Lakers could use wing depth I wonder if that’s what they are really offering. While they have the tax-payers mid-level available, GM Mitch Kupchak has said he only would be adding players via the veteran’s minimum because the payroll is already plenty high. Now, if I were an agent trying to get other teams to up their offer, this might be the kind of thing that gets put out there. I don’t know the source for this SLT report, just thinking out loud.
Miles averaged 9.8 points per game last season but on 38.1 percent shooting, which was a step back. His production overall suffered overall, which cost him regular minutes with the Jazz and might have teams a little hesitant to pick him up even though he is just 25.
Wherever he lands, look for a decision in the near future.
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 5
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 11
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 36