Jul 31, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT
But he could end up in the last place Jazz fans want to see their players go — Los Angeles. To the Lakers, specifically.
Unrestricted free agent small forward C.J. Miles has narrowed his options down to a few teams, a league source told The Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday, and the longtime Jazzman is drawing serious interest from the Los Angeles Lakers.
The 6-foot-6, 222-pound Miles could make a decision during the next 2-3 days. If he signs with the Lakers, the source said, it’ll likely be a one- or two-year deal via Los Angeles’ mini mid-level exception. Miles, 25, has already met with Dallas and Cleveland since free agency started July 1.
While the Lakers could use wing depth I wonder if that’s what they are really offering. While they have the tax-payers mid-level available, GM Mitch Kupchak has said he only would be adding players via the veteran’s minimum because the payroll is already plenty high. Now, if I were an agent trying to get other teams to up their offer, this might be the kind of thing that gets put out there. I don’t know the source for this SLT report, just thinking out loud.
Miles averaged 9.8 points per game last season but on 38.1 percent shooting, which was a step back. His production overall suffered overall, which cost him regular minutes with the Jazz and might have teams a little hesitant to pick him up even though he is just 25.
Wherever he lands, look for a decision in the near future.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 1
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 15
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 16
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 46