Report: C.J. Miles close to decision… and it could be Lakers

Jul 31, 2012, 8:23 PM EDT

C.J. Miles, Randy Foye, DeAndre Jordan AP

Swingman C.J. Miles has been drawing interest from a few teams looking to round out their roster with the veteran. That includes the Jazz wanting to keep him in house.

But he could end up in the last place Jazz fans want to see their players go — Los Angeles. To the Lakers, specifically.

So reports the Salt Lake Tribune.

Unrestricted free agent small forward C.J. Miles has narrowed his options down to a few teams, a league source told The Salt Lake Tribune on Tuesday, and the longtime Jazzman is drawing serious interest from the Los Angeles Lakers.

The 6-foot-6, 222-pound Miles could make a decision during the next 2-3 days. If he signs with the Lakers, the source said, it’ll likely be a one- or two-year deal via Los Angeles’ mini mid-level exception. Miles, 25, has already met with Dallas and Cleveland since free agency started July 1.

While the Lakers could use wing depth I wonder if that’s what they are really offering. While they have the tax-payers mid-level available, GM Mitch Kupchak has said he only would be adding players via the veteran’s minimum because the payroll is already plenty high. Now, if I were an agent trying to get other teams to up their offer, this might be the kind of thing that gets put out there. I don’t know the source for this SLT report, just thinking out loud.

Miles averaged 9.8 points per game last season but on 38.1 percent shooting, which was a step back. His production overall suffered overall, which cost him regular minutes with the Jazz and might have teams a little hesitant to pick him up even though he is just 25.

Wherever he lands, look for a decision in the near future.

1. 00maltliquor - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:03 PM

Now that’s what I effin’ talking about LAKERS!!! Yeah!

2. paulhargis53 - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:15 PM

That’s the missing piece right there!
    38% shooter. Uff.

• therealhtj - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:56 PM

This from the guy who got all wet over Jason Collins.

3. paulhargis53 - Jul 31, 2012 at 10:20 PM

You go on that thread and show me where I got “wet” about Collins.
    All I have posted on there is that Jason Terry can play the point.

Reading comprehension, its a wonderful thing, look into it.
    That you have to out and out lie about what I’ve posted speaks volumes about you.

• therealhtj - Jul 31, 2012 at 10:58 PM

I was referring to your green-blinder wearing self that proclaimed the Celts go “12 deep.” That would include the worthless sack of skin known as Jason Collins aka Kwame Brown-Lite, wouldn’t it?

12 deep. Sure. Because you love to harp on depth. Because Miami was so deep last year. Enjoy waiting another 25 years for a ring.

4. lakerluver - Jul 31, 2012 at 10:32 PM

@therealhtj, please just ignore paulhargis53, that dude is absolutely clueless!! Anyway, I would’ve preferred Jodie Meeks but it appears he’d rather get paid more money and go to a garbage team than take less and play for a title contender. Maybe the LAKERS will get J. Richardson IF the D12 deal happens. He’s grossly overpaid but can knock down 3’s. Either way the LAKERS are poised for a run at No. 17!!

5. paulhargis53 - Jul 31, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Lakerluver, you turd You are the one with cranial rectosis.

Run for 17 my @$$. Your team doesnt get Howard. Your team also doesn’t get out of the 2nd round.
    No objectivity whatsoever on your part.

6. lakerluver - Jul 31, 2012 at 10:59 PM

Without Howard the LAKERS are serious contenders. With Howard the LAKERS are the overwhelming favorites to win no.17. I want D12 but I think the LAKERS can win it all without him. More consistent focus on defense from Bynum and the addition of Nash and Jamison is enough to raise no.17!! HOWEVER, I see D12 in the PURPLE AND GOLD.

• sellahh - Aug 1, 2012 at 5:05 AM

If only we had an additional piece to sweeten the deal for Howard… no way the Lakers are giving up Pau and Andrew.

7. congocash - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:58 AM

Matt barnes is gone…

8. paulhargis53 - Aug 1, 2012 at 9:45 AM

thereal:
    Garnett,Bass,Pierce,Bradley, Rondo.
    Sullinger,Wilcox,Green,Lee,Terry.
    Melo,Dooling.
    That’s 12 fool. Collins is A 3rd option at Center, he’s not in the rotation!
    Every time you post, you make yourself look as ignorant as lakerluver. That’s quite the feat. By the way, depth IS important for a older team such as Boston. The Lakers are older with no depth. It’s killed them 2 years running and they went and got older this year. They will struggle to get a top 4 seed this year.

Laker, you’re delusional. I feel sorry for you, a man your age being as ignorant as you. That’s not going to stop me from laughing at you when the Lakers fall short though.

Laker:

9. paulhargis53 - Aug 1, 2012 at 10:22 AM

Since my prior post didn’t post, I’ll just say this.
    Collins is the THIRD string center. He isn’t in the rotation. You obviously have no clue about the roster.
    Also, the Celtics are an older team, depth IS important to them. Lakers have found that out the hard way this year and last. They will next year too.
    You sure aren’t shy about displaying your lack of knowledge, are you?

laker, please put down the pipe and seek help man.

10. stieblerp - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:18 AM

@Paulhargis – you are the most uninformed “nba” fan of all time.Your comments suggest you are also delusional. The Lakers have acquired a formidable bench, that can compete with just about any other nba team bench. This is what held them back last season. If you actually did some research before posting ignorant comments, I wouldn’t have to feel obligated to write this. Steve Nash will in fact be the difference maker and will allow Kobe to roam rather than have to be the dominate on ball player. The Lakers will in fact be in the championship discussion with or without Howard. Save us all the trouble from reading your ridiculous anti-Laker posts.

Regards,
    Lakerfan

11. omniusprime - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:40 AM

CJ Miles would be a vast improvement over that deadbeat Murphy. The Laker bench needs improvement and it’s time to get rid of Flake, McRoberts and Murphy – our weakest links.

12. fiyeaglesfiy - Aug 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM

PaulHargis is a clown. He doesn’t know a thing about basketball. Please disregard his comments.

13. paulhargis53 - Aug 1, 2012 at 3:13 PM

Ahh, another turd to add to the pile.
    fiy, you can’t post about the topic of the thread? You took the time to post about me instead? Wow, I’m flattered. But geez, what an empty life you must lead.

14. paulhargis53 - Aug 1, 2012 at 6:37 PM

stie, The laker bench ous as good as anyone’s? And you’re calling me delusional?!?!

They have Blake , a 36 year old Jamison and a guy they picked up from the Rockets last year. The rest are a who’s who of players that should be in the D league. You can’t be that of an over the top fan, can you?

Also, nobody is forcing you to read my posts. It’s,quite easy, you see my name, stop reading.

15. loungefly74 - Aug 1, 2012 at 11:30 PM

(loungefly strolls into the site seeing a bloody paulhargis getting smacked from all sides….damn….hehe)

oh? about the blog…hey, i’m all for added depth…

16. paulhargis53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 8:14 AM

I take an antagonistic, unpopular stance by telling the truth. You think I don’t expect you zealots to bash me?
    Please tell me you aren’t that dumb.

its not my fault the Laker fanbase is delusional(most,not all) and can’t handle criticism and truth about their team.

Lounge, you’re in over your head. You should probably just watch and nit comment.

17. purplerain53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Neither one of C.J.Miles or Jodie Meeks are good enough to play for the Lakers.And I don’t understand why, M.Kupchak does not wants to use the mini midlevel.It won’t count against the salary cup and luxury tax! It is total nonsence to me.We have done yet nothing to upgrade our bench, which was the worst in the league.The addition of one good player (A.Jamison) can not get the job done.J.Hill is not a new one. He was in the team last year.So who else we got there? The answer is- the same players from lat year. St.Blake and D.Morris are very inefective. We need to find a good back-up for Nash, who can play for 20 minutes a game and keep the flow of the team running.We need also a back-up for Kobe, so he can get some more rest this season.But Meeks or Miles are not the answers.Bynum has a solid back-up in J.Hill and Pau has A.Jamison. But what about MWP? First, he should have been amnestied to open about $ 9.0 millions salary space for new players.Mitch decided to keep him.For what? And who is going to back him up? Ebanks, Eyenga??? Both of them are useless players. All that makes our SF position very, very weak. So nothing is done yet.We need to make one or two trades involving Pau Gasol, St.Blake, D.Morris, D.J-Odom, D.Ebanks, Eyenga and McRoberts and to bring in 3 good back-ups for PG, SG and SF. Then, we can say, the job is done.NOT NOW.

18. paulhargis53 - Aug 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM

Amen purplerain! Yet another sane Laker fan and a breath of fresh air.
    Great posting and totally unbiased.

It’s nice to see a few of you with some smarts.

What are impacts of NBA's new TV deal?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches