Jul 31, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
And the Portland coaching search that has made as much sense as gymnastics judging is moving forward again.
Portland enters the second round of interviews for its next coach this week, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
The Portland Trail Blazers began round two by interviewing Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Terry Stotts this morning and former Orlando Magic assistant Steve Clifford this afternoon for three and a half hours, CSNNW.com has learned.
Phoenix Suns assistant Elston Turner will be interviewed tomorrow morning followed by Trail Blazers interim head coach Kaleb Canales.
New GM Neil Olshey heads up this second round of interviews. He is expected to select two and those guys will have another round of interviews with team owner Paul Allen. Once he gets back from the Olympics.
There could be a good coach in this group. Stotts is a Mavericks assistant and a former head coach in Atlanta. Turner is a former NBA player who has spent 16 years as an NBA assistant. Clifford is a long-time assistant who has worked under both Van Gundys. Canales was the interim coach with Portland last season who did a good job in the head man role. All may well make a good head coach.
But none are going to blow Blazers’ fans doors off.
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 26
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 15
- Popovich explains decision to sit Duncan late in regulation of Game 6 14
- Game 6 was not Gregg Popovich’s best night 46
- LeBron James gets another triple-double, now favorite for Finals MVP 21
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (78)
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- LIVE: Stanley Cup Final Game 4 pregame show
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record