Jul 31, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
And the Portland coaching search that has made as much sense as gymnastics judging is moving forward again.
Portland enters the second round of interviews for its next coach this week, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
The Portland Trail Blazers began round two by interviewing Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Terry Stotts this morning and former Orlando Magic assistant Steve Clifford this afternoon for three and a half hours, CSNNW.com has learned.
Phoenix Suns assistant Elston Turner will be interviewed tomorrow morning followed by Trail Blazers interim head coach Kaleb Canales.
New GM Neil Olshey heads up this second round of interviews. He is expected to select two and those guys will have another round of interviews with team owner Paul Allen. Once he gets back from the Olympics.
There could be a good coach in this group. Stotts is a Mavericks assistant and a former head coach in Atlanta. Turner is a former NBA player who has spent 16 years as an NBA assistant. Clifford is a long-time assistant who has worked under both Van Gundys. Canales was the interim coach with Portland last season who did a good job in the head man role. All may well make a good head coach.
But none are going to blow Blazers’ fans doors off.
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 4
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 9
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17
- Why can’t the Pelicans foul in a timely manner? 7