Jul 31, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
And the Portland coaching search that has made as much sense as gymnastics judging is moving forward again.
Portland enters the second round of interviews for its next coach this week, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
The Portland Trail Blazers began round two by interviewing Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Terry Stotts this morning and former Orlando Magic assistant Steve Clifford this afternoon for three and a half hours, CSNNW.com has learned.
Phoenix Suns assistant Elston Turner will be interviewed tomorrow morning followed by Trail Blazers interim head coach Kaleb Canales.
New GM Neil Olshey heads up this second round of interviews. He is expected to select two and those guys will have another round of interviews with team owner Paul Allen. Once he gets back from the Olympics.
There could be a good coach in this group. Stotts is a Mavericks assistant and a former head coach in Atlanta. Turner is a former NBA player who has spent 16 years as an NBA assistant. Clifford is a long-time assistant who has worked under both Van Gundys. Canales was the interim coach with Portland last season who did a good job in the head man role. All may well make a good head coach.
But none are going to blow Blazers’ fans doors off.
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 0
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 7
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 27
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 63
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 72
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 22