Jul 31, 2012, 11:44 AM EDT
And the Portland coaching search that has made as much sense as gymnastics judging is moving forward again.
Portland enters the second round of interviews for its next coach this week, reports Chris Haynes at CSNNW.com.
The Portland Trail Blazers began round two by interviewing Dallas Mavericks assistant coach Terry Stotts this morning and former Orlando Magic assistant Steve Clifford this afternoon for three and a half hours, CSNNW.com has learned.
Phoenix Suns assistant Elston Turner will be interviewed tomorrow morning followed by Trail Blazers interim head coach Kaleb Canales.
New GM Neil Olshey heads up this second round of interviews. He is expected to select two and those guys will have another round of interviews with team owner Paul Allen. Once he gets back from the Olympics.
There could be a good coach in this group. Stotts is a Mavericks assistant and a former head coach in Atlanta. Turner is a former NBA player who has spent 16 years as an NBA assistant. Clifford is a long-time assistant who has worked under both Van Gundys. Canales was the interim coach with Portland last season who did a good job in the head man role. All may well make a good head coach.
But none are going to blow Blazers’ fans doors off.
- Report: Washington Wizards contact Ray Allen, too 4
- Hornets rookie Noah Vonleh out 6-8 weeks after sports hernia surgery 14
- USA sails past New Zealand for easy 98-71 win behind Anthony Davis, Kenneth Faried 9
- Ray Allen on making a decision about next season: “I’m not in any rush” 11
- Derrick Rose after first back-to-back in years: “I’m feeling good right now” 4
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 11
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 14
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19