Jul 31, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
It’s a little odd to look down the bench of Team USA and see Mike D’Antoni and Nate McMillan — the two well-respected NBA coaches — without jobs. And in the case of D’Antoni, he didn’t get a lot calls from NBA teams this summer.
But would he coach college ball?
It seems an unusual choice for a guy who never coached college to head there now, but he certainly would be a draw on the recruiting trail and has a system that would be attractive to players.
“You think about it,” D’Antoni said. “You look at it and think, ‘Oh, that could be fun.’ One thing I do know from taking my son around (on recruiting trail) is that anytime you step on a college campus, you feel energy. You feel an excitement that’s not there, normally, where the business (of basketball) takes over. And obviously, when you feel the excitement; things go through your head.”
It would have to be a perfect fit. A school that has some standing in college basketball (in a major conference) that is willing to take the risk. And pay a handsome sum to do it.
I’d still like to see D’Antoni land another job in the NBA. This time with a franchise that is willing to spend a little (not like Phoenix) and will give him a roster that fits his system (not like New York). Count me among the people that thinks D’Antoni’s system can win it all in the NBA.
But it could do that in college, as well.
- LeBron scores 36, Cavaliers bounce back to get overtime win over Bulls 4
- Ricky Rubio agrees to 4-year, $55 million contract extension with Timberwolves 6
- Report: Warriors agree to four-year, $70 million extension with Klay Thompson 13
- Can Thunder, without Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook, overcome their first identity crisis? 13
- Jazz guard Alec Burks signs contract extension worth $42 million-$45 million 11
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 12
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 2
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, likely out 4-6 weeks 10