Jul 31, 2012, 1:52 PM EDT
It’s a little odd to look down the bench of Team USA and see Mike D’Antoni and Nate McMillan — the two well-respected NBA coaches — without jobs. And in the case of D’Antoni, he didn’t get a lot calls from NBA teams this summer.
But would he coach college ball?
It seems an unusual choice for a guy who never coached college to head there now, but he certainly would be a draw on the recruiting trail and has a system that would be attractive to players.
“You think about it,” D’Antoni said. “You look at it and think, ‘Oh, that could be fun.’ One thing I do know from taking my son around (on recruiting trail) is that anytime you step on a college campus, you feel energy. You feel an excitement that’s not there, normally, where the business (of basketball) takes over. And obviously, when you feel the excitement; things go through your head.”
It would have to be a perfect fit. A school that has some standing in college basketball (in a major conference) that is willing to take the risk. And pay a handsome sum to do it.
I’d still like to see D’Antoni land another job in the NBA. This time with a franchise that is willing to spend a little (not like Phoenix) and will give him a roster that fits his system (not like New York). Count me among the people that thinks D’Antoni’s system can win it all in the NBA.
But it could do that in college, as well.
- Grizzlies start fast, hang on to beat Portland, take 3-0 series lead 0
- Bucks outwork Bulls, stay alive on Jerryd Bayless game-winner 6
- Nets use 18-0 second-half run to secure Game 3 victory over Hawks 5
- Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle fined $25K for publicly criticizing officials after Game 3 loss to Rockets 10
- PBT Extra: Stephen Curry starting to have his defining playoff moments 8
- Behind 32 points from Kawhi Leonard, Spurs rout Clippers to take 2-1 series lead 13
- The Truth (and Marcin Gortat) will set Washington free, up 3-0 on Toronto after win 8
- James Harden scores 42 points to lead Rockets to Game 3 win, 3-0 series lead over Mavericks 17