Brandon Roy says he never retired, just put career on “pause”

Jul 31, 2012, 3:07 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v Portland Trail Blazers - Game Four Getty Images

Remember last December, when Portland used its one-time amnesty on Brandon Roy and his agent said for former All-Star “has no intention of returning to professional basketball” because of his degenerative knee condition?

We were all just misreading the signs.

Apparently. Roy was introduced as the newest member of the Minnesota Timberwolves on Wednesday and gave his perspective of how his exit from the Blazers and basketball at the start of last season when down. Here is the quote, from Ben Golliver of the brilliant Blazers’ Edge.

Well, it never really was officially my decision to retire. With the process in Portland, I met with the team doctor, we talked for awhile, we have a really, really good relationship. He’s a guy that’s been working with me for five years with my knees. It was a situation where I went in for the physical, he thought it would be in my best interests to stop playing basketball because of my knees. We pretty much left it up to the team to decide if they wanted to pursue the medical retirement route. After a week, they decided to use the amnesty. For me, it was never that I was retired. My knees were a situation that I was going to have to think about if I wanted to continue playing. After a few months of sitting out, I decided, ‘Hey, I don’t want to stop playing basketball.’ It’s something I want to continue going forward with. It’s never a situation where I said, ‘I’m done forever.’ It was more of a pause.”

Interesting perspective. I can’t question that’s how he saw things, I’ll just say I don’t think anyone else in basketball (or maybe in the United States) saw it that way.

Roy has gone and had the Regenokine treatment — the Kobe knee treatment — that is supposed to generate cartridge and help the body fight its own degenerative, arthritic ways and essentially stop or reverse the process. Kobe and other athletes swear by it, if you’re a fan of anecdotal evidence on medical treatments.

It apparently has helped, he has reportedly looked good in workouts.

I hope so. I want very much for Roy to return to the game at his old level and make a huge impact in Minnesota. He was one of my favorite players to watch in the league.

But the first few games is not the test. The NBA season is a grind. How are his knees on the second night of a back-to-back in February? How are they at game 65? Those are the real tests. That is when we know if the treatments really had the desired impact.

1. kingbeason52 - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:27 PM

“This is a very difficult and painful day,” Roy said in a statement released by the team. “I love the game, I love the Portland Trail Blazers and I love our fans, but after consulting with my doctors, I will seek a determination that I’ve suffered a career ending injury, pursuant to the rules of the collective bargaining agreement.”

Might not have said the word, but he made it pretty clear..
    Good guy..but lost a little respect for him

• lmoneyfresh - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I’m sure that loss of respect will keep him up at night.

2. paulhargis53 - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:53 PM

You’re right, he said he’d SEEK a determination. I guess it was determined that it wasn’t a career ender.

I’m not sure why you’d be upset with him?
    It was Blazer management that amnestied him.

3. therealhtj - Jul 31, 2012 at 3:55 PM

He put the career on pause. The paycheck? Not so much.

• sellahh - Jul 31, 2012 at 5:19 PM

U jelaous, much? How bout you focus on ur own?

• therealhtj - Jul 31, 2012 at 6:15 PM

I could care less about how much players make. I just don’t think the NBA can continue with these long-term guaranteed deals when players just don’t or can’t produce any more. It hurts the product and the local fanbase.

That’s what I’m focused on. If Brandon Roy was earning that max money he signed for, then more power to him. Now he’s not only collecting his guaranteed paycheck from Portland, but he’s double-dipping with whatever Minny’s giving him now too. Portland’s fans, and NBA fans in general, deserve better.

4. spideysdog - Jul 31, 2012 at 4:38 PM

“Might not have said the word, but he made it pretty clear..
    Good guy..but lost a little respect for him”

HUH? what do you mean you lost respect for him? The teams OWN doctors advised him not to play. He tried to pursue a medical claim that would have saved Paul Allen money by insurance footing the contract and then the TEAM amnestied him….

He has received treatment, still Jones’ for the game and wants to make another try at it.

In a world where a new athlete is getting charged with DWI, assault or some other ridiculousness each and every day, you’ve lost respect for Brandon Roy?

Wow…. don’t even really know what to say.

5. buffalowned - Jul 31, 2012 at 6:12 PM

Cartridge?

• Justin - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:08 PM

Haha good catch. Maybe he meant cartridge like the old nintendo games. In which case you just have to blow on Roy’s knees a few times, hit the reset a couple times and then they will work until you wanna play again.

6. midnite2020 - Jul 31, 2012 at 6:31 PM

Not everyone is a bust lebron kobe Vince dirk kg shaq Paul pierce dwade plenty of guys have earned their contracts

7. paulhargis53 - Jul 31, 2012 at 6:51 PM

No one is forcing the teams to hand out those contracts. It’s not the players fault, you take what you can get.
    People have been saying this about contracts for years. It hasn’t changed.

Average everyday fans don’t matter to the owners, its the season ticket holder and high dollar ticket purchasers they think about. You may as well get used to that .

• therealhtj - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:17 PM

The more fans demand it, the more likely it is to change. I would’ve gladly given up last season to get these players to cave and accept the uncertainty of a non-guaranteed contract.

Play well. Get paid. Suck. You’re gone.

It’s really not that complicated.

8. southpaw77 - Jul 31, 2012 at 7:16 PM

Hey Batman you have no cartilage in both knees, just gimme that brace there and I’ll be fine.

9. pop562 - Jul 31, 2012 at 8:55 PM

Welcome back Roy, you’re always fun to watch and I’m glad you’re career isn’t over yet. Hopefully the t wolves make into the playoffs… They have a nice squad.

10. paulhargis53 - Jul 31, 2012 at 9:43 PM

the real, I’m not saying I disagree with your point. That’s the way it should be.

But, this had been going on for years and years, its nor going to change. There is no way the players give up that point.

11. therealgts - Jul 31, 2012 at 11:04 PM

Get real htj. If you really think because fans like yourself “demand” things that it will change you must be baked. Pass me that good stuff

12. badintent - Aug 1, 2012 at 12:33 AM

Kobe’s drink: 20 CC HGH , 30 CC Red blood platelets, 50 CC red blood cells, and a shot of tequila ! Mix with ice in shaker, strain and garnish with caviar.

13. pariseinminnesotabichez - Aug 1, 2012 at 1:27 AM

He realized that who wants to play in Portland? Go Wolves!

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches