Jul 30, 2012, 10:59 AM EDT
For a guy who grew up in Philadelphia then played his college ball at Villanova, signing with the 76ers would be a dream come true.
That’s what the undrafted Maalik Wayns has done, according to the Times Herald.
A source confirmed Saturday that Wayns has agreed to a free-agent deal with the 76ers.
The deal reportedly is similar to the one Lavoy Allen received after the Sixers took him in the second round of the 2011 NBA Draft, No. 50 overall, the source said. Allen reportedly received a $60,000 signing bonus and then received the rookie minimum of $473,604 after making the team.
That money is not guaranteed — Wayns is going to have to make this Philly squad. And it will not be easy.
Jrue Holiday is the starting point guard and the guy getting the bulk of the minutes. Behind him there will be Royal Ivey and then there may be a spot for a third guy on the roster. Xavier Silas may be that guy but that is in question after surgery following a serious head injury at Summer League in Orlando.
Wayns played pretty well at Summer League in Orlando, averaging 11.7 points and 5.7 assists per game, while getting some steals. He averaged 18 points a game last season as the guy running the Villanova offense. He loves to operate out of the pick-and-roll, but he is score first, doesn’t really shoot the three well and there were questions about whether he can make it work at the NBA level (he went undrafted for a reason).
But he’s going to get a chance to prove he belongs his hometown. That’s big.
- PBT Extra with NBASavant.com: Cleveland may want to cover Curry in the left corner 2
- It’s official: Scott Skiles hired as head coach of Orlando Magic 20
- PBT Podcast: Talking Thibodeau/Bulls divorce; future for Rockets, Hawks 0
- Warriors’ Klay Thompson officially diagnosed with concussion 20
- Klay Thompson should not have been cleared to return to Game 5 after concussion evaluation 15
- Dwight Howard suspended one game after foul switcheroo 18
- Three coaches who may replace Tom Thibodeau in Chicago 12
- Report: Kevin Love going to “look around” this summer as free agent; Celtics, Lakers, Rockets possible 49