Jul 30, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
For a guy who is an All-Star and Olympian, Andre Iguodala’s name sure shows up in trade rumors a lot. And there are plenty of people in Philadelphia more than happy to ship him out of town, for reasons I frankly don’t totally understand.
It’s not happening, anyway. At least not in the near future.
According to a source, a trade involving Iguodala “won’t happen” during the off-season. As a result of that, the Sixers’ off-season tinkering to their roster is complete and aside from a few free agents who get invitations to training camp, the team is set.
Iguodala is a very good player. Maybe not one of the 10 or so guys you can build a franchise around in the NBA, but he is on that next tier, just a step below. And if you are going to move him, you have to get players of equal or greater value (that or just start to totally rebuild, which is not the Philly plan.
You’re better off getting guys to go around him rather than send him packing.
At least in the short term, that’s the plan. But I’d be shocked if Iggy’s name doesn’t come up in talks again around the trade deadline. Because it always does.
- With Anthony Davis and Pelicans drained, Warriors deliver down the stretch 3
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court? 3
- Bulls overcome ugly start to take 2-0 series lead over Bucks 9
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard 3
- Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James 29
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge 2
- PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson 1
- PBT Extra: Matchup to watch in Bulls vs. Bucks, Derrick Rose vs. Michael Carter-Williams 6