Jul 30, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
For a guy who is an All-Star and Olympian, Andre Iguodala’s name sure shows up in trade rumors a lot. And there are plenty of people in Philadelphia more than happy to ship him out of town, for reasons I frankly don’t totally understand.
It’s not happening, anyway. At least not in the near future.
According to a source, a trade involving Iguodala “won’t happen” during the off-season. As a result of that, the Sixers’ off-season tinkering to their roster is complete and aside from a few free agents who get invitations to training camp, the team is set.
Iguodala is a very good player. Maybe not one of the 10 or so guys you can build a franchise around in the NBA, but he is on that next tier, just a step below. And if you are going to move him, you have to get players of equal or greater value (that or just start to totally rebuild, which is not the Philly plan.
You’re better off getting guys to go around him rather than send him packing.
At least in the short term, that’s the plan. But I’d be shocked if Iggy’s name doesn’t come up in talks again around the trade deadline. Because it always does.
- Wednesday NBA grades: Kevin Durant ends season exactly like you think he would 10
- Finally the NBA playoff match ups are set 38
- PBT Extra: Giving out MVP, end of season awards 5
- Report: Sale of Milwaukee Bucks for record $550 million agreed upon, team to stay in Milwaukee 39
- Playoff Chase: Seven meaningful games on final night of NBA season 17