Jul 30, 2012, 6:59 PM EDT
For a guy who is an All-Star and Olympian, Andre Iguodala’s name sure shows up in trade rumors a lot. And there are plenty of people in Philadelphia more than happy to ship him out of town, for reasons I frankly don’t totally understand.
It’s not happening, anyway. At least not in the near future.
According to a source, a trade involving Iguodala “won’t happen” during the off-season. As a result of that, the Sixers’ off-season tinkering to their roster is complete and aside from a few free agents who get invitations to training camp, the team is set.
Iguodala is a very good player. Maybe not one of the 10 or so guys you can build a franchise around in the NBA, but he is on that next tier, just a step below. And if you are going to move him, you have to get players of equal or greater value (that or just start to totally rebuild, which is not the Philly plan.
You’re better off getting guys to go around him rather than send him packing.
At least in the short term, that’s the plan. But I’d be shocked if Iggy’s name doesn’t come up in talks again around the trade deadline. Because it always does.
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 32
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 52
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16
- Report: Stan Van Gundy tells Josh Smith, barring unexpected trade, forward will start season with Pistons 8