Jul 30, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
It’s not going to happen this week. Tunisia and Nigeria are no threat to the United States, and while they have some talent Lithuania really isn’t either.
But next week against Argentina then moving into the medal round play things are going to get serious for Team USA. They need to start playing better because their opponents will.
France’s Nicolas Batum said he thinks the USA could lose one game, and maybe a key one. The Oregonian has Batum’s postgame comments after France lost to the United States and he thought they were somewhat vulnerable.
“During the preparation (for the Olympics) they didn’t blow out every team,” Batum said. “They won by six against Argentina, I think they won by 11 against Brazil (he’s correct). So, they can lose one game, maybe…
“(To beat the USA) You need to play a 40 minute game, control the rebounds, take care of the ball and play good defense. Some teams can do it and I think some teams can beat them. Really. Spain, Argentina, Brazil, a lot of teams can beat them.”
I think Batum is right about this — if we were talking a seven game series we could just turn the gold over to Team USA right now. But for one night, if the USA is cold from the outside and the opponent doesn’t turn the ball over, they can be beat. Spain might only win 2 or 3 out of 10 games against the USA, but on one given night they would get the one win they need in the Olympics.
Batum added it will not be easy. Batum also talked about the perceived weakness of the USA — size.
“Everyone says they are small, but LeBron is the size of every big on the other team. And (Kevin Durant) is longer than every big guy on the other team, too,” Batum said.
Yes, LeBron is the best power forward in the game today. And the best small forward. International coaches can spend a day in Scotty Brook’s shoes and figure out how to stop him.
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 14
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 6
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 30
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9
- Stephen Curry drops 40, Warriors rout Rockets by 35 to take 3-0 series lead 27
- Hawks Kyle Korver out for remainder of playoffs with high ankle sprain 17