Jul 30, 2012, 4:17 PM EDT
It’s not going to happen this week. Tunisia and Nigeria are no threat to the United States, and while they have some talent Lithuania really isn’t either.
But next week against Argentina then moving into the medal round play things are going to get serious for Team USA. They need to start playing better because their opponents will.
France’s Nicolas Batum said he thinks the USA could lose one game, and maybe a key one. The Oregonian has Batum’s postgame comments after France lost to the United States and he thought they were somewhat vulnerable.
“During the preparation (for the Olympics) they didn’t blow out every team,” Batum said. “They won by six against Argentina, I think they won by 11 against Brazil (he’s correct). So, they can lose one game, maybe…
“(To beat the USA) You need to play a 40 minute game, control the rebounds, take care of the ball and play good defense. Some teams can do it and I think some teams can beat them. Really. Spain, Argentina, Brazil, a lot of teams can beat them.”
I think Batum is right about this — if we were talking a seven game series we could just turn the gold over to Team USA right now. But for one night, if the USA is cold from the outside and the opponent doesn’t turn the ball over, they can be beat. Spain might only win 2 or 3 out of 10 games against the USA, but on one given night they would get the one win they need in the Olympics.
Batum added it will not be easy. Batum also talked about the perceived weakness of the USA — size.
“Everyone says they are small, but LeBron is the size of every big on the other team. And (Kevin Durant) is longer than every big guy on the other team, too,” Batum said.
Yes, LeBron is the best power forward in the game today. And the best small forward. International coaches can spend a day in Scotty Brook’s shoes and figure out how to stop him.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 43
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 6
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5